Why do I need to authorize app to use on my iMac?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kat.hayes, Mar 13, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I just connected an iPad Pro via usb to an iMac so I can synch it with iTunes. It tried to transfer my apps to iTunes, I'm guessing to back them up, though a message displayed that "Some of the purchased items to the iPad Pro could not be transferred to your iTunes Library because you are not authorized for them on this computer"

1. These are all free apps that were downloaded, what does it mean to authorize them?

Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's a way to keep people from sharing apps with others. Your iTunes account needs to be authorized on your computer in order for it to accept "purchased" iTunes content. In this case, free apps are also considered "purchased."

Anyway, not in front of my computer now, so not sure where in the iTunes menu the authorize account option is, but it's in there somewhere. Do that, and your apps should copy.

3. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

If you click on Store, in the menu bar of iTunes, then on Authorize This Computer.... that will allow any apps (that have been purchased or downloaded on your iPad, with the same account as the one used to sign in to iTunes on the computer) to be transferred across from one to the other (You can also just click on, Check for available downloads. in the same menu.)

Less likely, but it can happen if you use more than one account. If some were downloaded while signed into a different account from the one used in iTunes on your computer, or from one you no longer or don't normally use, then these can't be copied over as Apple cant verify that you are the rightful owner of the software (even free ones) unless the same AppStore account is used on all of your devices and iTunes.

For example I use a different account for iCloud than i do for my AppStore and iTunes purchases. So I always have to make sure that the one I use for purchases is the one all of the stores are signed into. If I setup a new device and forget to click on the button to setup both accounts during the initial device setup process. Then by default I get signed into the AppStore using my iCloud account and I don't notice until I go to transfer apps to iTunes and it doesn't work.

(I've also, for some goodness knows what reason, been signed into the AppStore using my iCloud account when I have put in both sets of account details. So it's always worth checking in settings if you're signed into the right account before making purchases.)

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Good point. But I believe you can authorize more than one account on your computer, so if you do end up with apps from multiple accounts, you can transfer them all to your computer.