Why do I need to use my PC to transfer apps?!

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ericinboston, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Hi all. Recently I bought 2 apps...a Pinball HD app and a DJ app. Both times the transfer was going directly to my iPad and then it stopped and said I must go to my computer and log into iTunes in order to get the app! What the heck is that all about?! The DJ app is only 2.9MB and the Pinball is 80MB. I am using WIFI at home so there's no complaining from ATT/Apple that I am using a phone network for large apps. Other apps I've bought/downloaded have transferred directly.

Anyway, I'm quite unhappy because this basically shows that the iPad is 100% reliant on a computer. If I can't get 100% of my apps directly over WIFI from the App Store to my iPad, why in the world would I buy a device (that promises said functionality) that is tied to a computer?!

I would like to hear your comments regarding this topic and maybe if you know if Apple is addressing this.

Thanks.

2. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I've seen this message before on my iPhone when something went wrong with the download on the iPhone. It then told me to download the app in iTunes and sync it. Is it possible that this happened to you?

In general you don't need to use your computer to get apps, because as you pointed out:

As a side note, did you not know that the iPad is, to a certain degree, dependant on a computer running iTunes? I mean you need a computer to be able to start using it, so by that virtue surely you were aware that it's not a completely independent device?

Edit: Not saying that it should be a dependent device, I never understood why it is...