Why do I need to verify carrier if I'm paying full price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiegirl, Sep 9, 2016.

1. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Apple is having trouble verifying my carrier (AT&T)'s account, so I can't buy the phone. I'm paying full price. Why do they need to verify my carrier? I bought an AT&T phone last year when I had T-Mobile.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

For USA, the only time you don't have to verify right now is if buying T-Mobile. It's incredibly dumb. I wanted to order a VZW model full price but couldn't because of the having to provide VZW account info thing. It's just another way of carriers annoying us.

3. techiegirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Can I buy a T-Mobile phone and use it on AT&T? They're all unlocked if paying full price.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

As long as you are ordering from Apple. Buying direct from T-Mobile often ends up with it being locked although they will unlock it for you.

5. noobinator macrumors 601

Yes, the T-Mobile phone will work on AT&T. It will NOT work on Verizon or Sprint though. The Verizon model will work on all 4 carriers, which is why I wanted it.

6. techiegirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Do you think we will be able to get a Verizon phone in store without a Verizon account? I've never had this problem before.

7. noobinator, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

noobinator macrumors 601

Nope, not online at least. But, the fully unlocked version was available like 3 or 4 weeks after launch last year, if you can wait that long. It is not tied to a carrier at all. If you only plan on using it on AT&T the T-Mobile version should be fine, it's just not the greatest one available in terms of resale or ability to use on other networks.

8. techiegirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

It's backordered for that long anyway, so I might as well wait for the fully unlocked one.

9. dagored macrumors 65816

Listen to what noobinator said. If you can wait, in about two weeks go into an Apple store or Verizon store and pay full price for the A1660 (7) or A1661 (7+). I bet you will not have a problem.

10. superflush macrumors 6502a

Presumably, Apple is trying to limit the amount of people who are buying multiple iPhones for resale overseas. If they require you to have an active plan with the Big 4 carriers, they are limiting iPhone purchases to those who will actually be using them within the US.

That's interesting. As a test, I tried to check-out on the Apple site with an iPhone marked for AT&T and they want phone #, zip code, and last 4 of SSN. If I mark it as for T-Mobile, it lets me get to the final checkout page without asking for such info.

11. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I wanted the VZW version but was forced to stay with AT&T despite not having a contract. Really pathetic but maybe it's their way of preventing bulk purchases.