Why do I regret installing XP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

So I had everything working great. All my drives installed, 8GB of RAM working fine. Then, I used bootcamp to install XP Pro on a Raptor and it seems to be missing a .dll file and won't boot (Windows).

The problem is that the XP CD is stuck in the drive and it tries to boot from it (regardless of whether I hold C) and I can't eject the disc or force it to boot off the stock Leopard drive. Suggestions on getting the disc out? Is there a key to press during boot force it to boot from drive bay #1?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you hold down Option while booting? Is HAL.dll the missing file?

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm not sure -- at work and can't remember which file it was ...is there an easy fix if HAL.dll is the missing file?

I'll try holding option down when I boot it next.

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Have you tried holding down Option,Command,R,P while booting? This usually gets you back to Leopard. Failing that, turn off the machine, open the side panel, pull out the optical drive tray and insert a paperclip in the small hole on the left hand side of the front and push firmly. The tray will open and you can remove the disk. Push the tray back in, put the drive cage back in and close the cover. I had to do this once and it's easy. Make sure you put the paperclip in the SMALL hole on the LHS not the larger one on the RHS.
    Alan

BTW I tried installing Vista on a second drive but after 3 days I finally gave up. Apparently Vista doesn't like being relegated to a second drive. I drove to Best Buy and paid their exorbitant $299 for XP Pro

5. Beardy man macrumors regular

Can I join in the game?

Have you tried holding down the mouse button while re-booting?

Works for G5's but until I get my MP, I don't know if it works under Intel/Leopard.

6. MikeL macrumors 6502

This is the right answer. It forces any CD to eject before the system boots.

7. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Excellent... will try this tonight.

I need to figure out why it didn't like my 32 bit XP Pro (w/ SP2) disc though...

8. ttriff macrumors newbie

If the XP install is messed up just let the CD start to reinstall then choose 'repair' (not repair console) and you should be good to go.

I did this when the installation of the bootcamp drivers hosed a win32.dll file and my XP install wouldn't boot.

BTW for those that don't know NewEgg sells XP-Pro SP2 OEM for $150