Why do i still pay for the gym....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by luckygyrl83, Jul 9, 2008.

1. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

and I dont use it. Since Im trying to save gas, like the rest of the country, I usually just go on a long walk around my city. I have been paying for 24 hour fitness for the past year. The last time I went was, ummmmmm, yeah I dont remember.

Must remember to cancel one day. LOL.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Maybe today is the day. Go pickup the phone NOW and do it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Motley macrumors 6502

If it's close enough you could just walk to the gym.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah that seems to happen to most gym, it seem to me that the ones that really pay for the gym are the ones that don't go

6. luckygyrl83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mmmm, dont think its transferrable :)

The walk to the gym would be a work-out on its own. Its a 4 mi walk. Oh, and its in a hilly area. So, thats ok....

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeha I'd say go ahead and cancel, no point on paying for no reason....teh faster you do it the less you'll payyy..

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Or go back and start using it? Even if you end up walking/jogging to it and then using the weights/doing a class there. You must have intended using it for a reason so if that reason is still there (get fit, get toned, lose weight etc) then try again.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to try to pick gyms that are very close to home or work. If I had to go out of my way (bus/car) then I'd never go.

9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Don't give us the "gas is too expensive" excuse. You live 4 miles from the gym. Let's say your car gets 20 mpg. If you go five times per week, that's like $8.50 worth of gas. And that's five times. Go three times, and it's only $5. That's less than the membership you don't even use.

Everyone always has an excuse not to go to the gym. The only difference now is that people will actually believe yours. Worse yet, you might believe yours.

10. luckygyrl83 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think thats a great excuse actually. I drive to work (daily) , school (couple times a week), and both of which are not in walking distance at all. I try not to drive as much as possible. In OC, it's too pricey.

11. idyll macrumors 6502

I workout at home :D

I would love a membership at a gym but I can't afford it at the present time

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Isn't that what happens to all gym memberships? At least.. that's what always happened to mine! :)

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson:

"Gym*, what the hell is a gym?"

* pronounced "guyhm"

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

It's $5 per week. Now I'm not made of money, but $5 to utilize a service you already pay for that makes you healthy and all the other good things workign out does for you?

Seriously, you're making excuses.

14. djellison macrumors 68020

That's why the gym manager drives a Porsche.

:)

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have a gym about 1.5 miles from the house, but I drive 4 miles and use the gym on base. Free + gas or monthly payment but gas. I think free still wins even with the price of gas.

16. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Just quit if you never use it.

I was a member of a gym for a long time but since I travel so much I just use the gym in whatever hotel I am at. I one day realized I was paying $65 a month for something that I had not used in almost a year... :rolleyes:

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So schedule your gym visit on the way to or on the way back from work, school, shopping.

18. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I was watching stand-up one evening and the comedian referred to his gym membership that he never used as a "fat tax." :p

Just cancel the membership if you don't use it. Find a gym closer to you. Or (since this is an Apple forum) buy yourself a Nike+ and go running outside! I've been doing that the past several months and have been much more productive than I was with my gym membership.

19. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Gym membership should be a public good, and free.

Then more people would go to the gym, lowering (universal) healthcare costs :)

20. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Good point, but people will always find an excuse to not go to the gym. If it's not cost, then it's time, convenience, etc.

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

True, although I know I'd go a lot more if I didn't feel like I was bleeding money just to use my own muscles :eek:

22. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

As soon as you try to cancel it...they're just going to try and upsell you on something or try to make you feel bad so you'll keep the membership.

the gyms around here are awful...they hand out free friend passes, but the moment you bring someone with you they hound them until they agree to sit and talk about the possibility of signing up. So, the free pass becomes not a workout...but free reign to be stamped "sucker" on your forehead.

I hate the gym's business ethics that I go to...but I have a free membership, so I can't complain too terribly much. :D

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

im going to be riding my bike to the gym, hitting the gym, then riding my bike home, i think that will do nicely;)

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

i stopped paying for it a long time ago.

i found out that i lost more weight and exercise more thanks to my wii. i'm motivated to use the wii because it's fun, losing some flab makes me motivated to lose some more, and i go out running etc.

The gym just doesn't work out for me. It's nice to have all that equipment there, but the moment i have a good excuse not to go, I don't go for the next couple months. first it was a cold, then an injured knee, then studying for finals..heheh.

25. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

The community centre 1 block from my house has some really dirt cheap monthly membership, and they work on a sliding scale based on age and income, me as a low income student get a yearly card for free if I wanted too. or $18 per month
    instead I pay $10 a term (4 months) to use the 12,000 sq foot multi level fitness room at my university, also alot of the recreation sports are heavily subsadized by the school and various agencies so I can do 4 months of 3-5 times per week of Tae Kwon Do for $26.
    and since it is right where I work and study I have no excuse not to use it especially since the 'combat room' is literally up the stairs, and across from my worklab.