Why do lines stay jagged in illustrator?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by djsound, Aug 22, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

This text was part of a logo I made in illustrator. Even after exporting the edged still look kind of jagged to me? Is there any way to make them straight? thanks.

Attached Files:

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

It is a text object, or a placed graphic?

Into what file format are you "exporting" ?

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Well it was large text converted into outlines...then export to png file with type optimized anti aliasing...although none of the anti aliasing settings helped during export......in the "W" you can really see the jaggedness still

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why on Earth are you exporting in a raster graphics format?

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

6. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

If you've outlined it, the anti-alias options on the Character panel have no effect; but you can apply a Rasterize effect (EFFECT > Rasterize...) to see how it will export as a PNG (be sure to choose appropriate options in that dialog: 72ppi resolution, etc.)

7. djsound, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Those are the same options that it gave me when I exported to png. Those are the results shown in my attachment.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Open the file in Photoshop. When you get the dialog box to convert it, choose a high resolution... probably 300dpi. After it opens, resize the image to 72dpi at the size you need. It should be much cleaner.

9. winston1236 macrumors 68000

agreed, this is you best solution

10. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Isn't that the same as just exporting at 300 dpi from illustrator? Your saying open a eps in photoshop? I'd like to do it all in illustrator if possible

11. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

you will always have better luck with cleaning up typefonts after making them in illustrator if you convert em over to photoshop.

12. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

old topic but...If I have designed a logo to be printed on a tshirt should I clean it up in photoshop or send it as an eps?

13. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

What do you mean 'clean up'? An illustrator EPS (or PDF, which will also preserve the vector data) shouldn't require any additional processing in Photoshop.

In fact, even if a print shop wants a bitmap format, export as TIFF or even (shudder) JPEG should produce print-ready results without the need for Photoshop.

Cheers

Jim

14. blanka macrumors 68000

Before you start wining about jaggies, learn alt-left key alt-right key first!