Why do mac users pirate less than PC users?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by boonlar, Feb 18, 2009.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

Is it just because of itunes?

Most PC users I know even pirated their windows operating system lol

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i know a lot of mac users who pirate stuff, including OSX.
    but it's easier to be cheap on a PC than it is on a Mac.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....judging by the number of threads around here started by people wanting serial numbers or asking if they can install the disc that came with so-and-so's Mac on the 40 computers they happen to have I am not so sure that Mac users pirate less any more.....oh yeah!

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'd guess the percentage is similar, but there are just many more Windows users.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's probably a pretty complicated set of reasons... Mac users have less reason to pirate the OS because Apple pushes them in the direction of upgrading their hardware so often that they don't upgrade their OS very often. They do reportedly spend more on software than PC users, which is pretty consistent with them spending more on hardware than PC users. There have traditionally been less of us around and so the size game just makes piracy on the Mac less easy for would be pirates. And then on top of all of that, the personality of the target Mac market is probably generally against pirating....

6. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Do they? Or have you just made it up? There are obviously fewer Mac users, but unless you actually have some evidence to back up your assumption it's not really a question that can be answered.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Who said Mac users pirate less? I know a bunch of mac users who pirate stuff all the time. Everybody's doin' it. ;)

8. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

There have been articles claiming that mac users are more likely to purchase music and movies compared to pc users. Also there seems to be a distaste for piracy in the mac community especially with hackintosh and things like that.

9. ihabime macrumors 6502

This Mroogle for the word torrent seems to disagree with you.

*yeah yeah, I know they were just asking about how to DL linux distributions and replacement DVDs that their dog ate*

10. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I think that Apple users have a much more intimate and tangible relationship with the company that provides for their computing needs. When you're a PC user, you might be building your own comptuer -- picking up odds and ends from various companies that really mean nothing to you. You do the same with software -- some of it works well with your hardware, some of it doesn't. The relationship just isn't on the same level as it is with Apple user and Apple the company.

We like the products that Apple makes. We appreciate the work and effort that goes into creating Apple hardware and software. We have some level of respect for the company and the way that they have treated us over the years -- I know that I have had nothing but memorable customer service at the hands of Apple. And, I think we recognize the need for this company to be a successful business. So, when Apple comes out with a new iLife suite and markets it for $89, we feel okay about giving that money to Apple.

I also think that for the majority of Apple users, similar relationships exist for companies like Adobe and for music artists that we appreciate and respect.

I'm not saying that I don't pirate because that would be a lie. I would say though that I have a conversation with myself from time to time to determine whether I'm okay with pirating something.

That's my take on it.

darren

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No. I think it's because you just made it up.

12. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Thank you for the laugh.

I think that's probably it, as well.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is no data to support piracy levels for either or.
    and what type of piracy are you talking about? software? music? movies?

i think perhaps Mac users pirate less software, but i would only think that would be due to some excellent developers on the Mac that create some awesome software for reasonable prices.

14. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

I've never bought a song from iTunes and never will..

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait what? Can we have a link to the article that says PC users pirate more than Mac users?

Back at university at least half of the people on my course had a pirated OSX. And college before that many people had pirated XP.

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Becuz Mac users are over-all better humans and have better morals then everyone else.

:D:p:cool:

17. followme macrumors regular

followme

I'm not joking when I say this, but one of the big reasons is because people generally dislike Microsoft, and don't consider their software actually good, but just necessary.

So, they thus feel justified in not paying for "junk."

While many Mac users will feel that Apple software is quality stuff, and that paying for it is worth it.

That, and the fact that there just aren't as many pirated software titles for the Mac, since many happen to be games.

18. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

:)

19. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Mac users tend to be much wealthier than their PC counterparts.

20. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

end of thread.

21. ihabime macrumors 6502

Are OSX86 users considered Mac users? If they're included I think the Mac Pirate percentage goes way up, I'm not judging, just sayin that all those kalyway and ******* DVDs kinda tip the scale :)

*on preview, the forum censors t*bgirl but not kalyway? wacky

22. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

well said.

23. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Nailed it. I know a TON of people at school here who pirate anythign and everything - PC and Mac users alike. I noticed a lot of the problem might be that a lot of recent adopters of Macs aren't all that tech-savvy, and piracy requires a small amount of computer skill to actually pull off efficiently.

This, of course, is only a small personal observation. I'm sure there are many of you whom see things quite differently.

Much like has already been mentioned above.

24. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I second that. And to support the thread starter's point, my Macs are the first platform on which I only use legally purchased (or share/freeware) software.