Why do my halogen lamps keep dying?!

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
So yesterday my silver halogen desk lamp decides to die. This is the second one of the exact same model we've bought because the last one died too. I really love the lamp but now that it keeps dying after owning it for any length of time (i.e. 5 months) the thing stops working; I had only had it on for about 45 min at the time.

So now I'm stuck typing by the overhead light and I hate it. My eyes are killing me.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a desk lamp? Something modern and sleek, in silver.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I use Ott-Lite desk and floor lamps for that. The full spectrum lighting works better for me. Most of them don't look fancy but they do have a more stylised line. If you have Michael's or Jo-Ann Etc. stores, you can usually get them at huge discounts.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
2 main causes

Touching the bulb with bare skin while installing --- the skin oils (or any other contaminant) burns on the surface of the glass, shortening the life of the bulb.

Excess heat. A poorly designed housing will cook the bulb.

Unfortunately, a lot of the budget goods being cranked out (such as lamps) is poor design -- it's made to sell for cheap, not to last.

Ott-lites are expensive but good