Why do my network drives disappear? (Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cams, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Cams macrumors regular

I'm a Mac noob and am running Leopard on my shiny new iMac 24. When I installed Leopard and booted up, the other computers on my LAN showed up automatically on the left of the finder and I was over the moon. After many years of trying to get Windows PCs to see each other over the network, it was a huge relief to have Leopard just see them. I'm using Ethernet into a router.

However, once Leopard goes to sleep after how ever many minutes of inactivity that may take, the networked computers are nowhere to be seen when it reawakens. Is there some way of making them stay there? All I can do is log out and log back in again and then they are back. It would be nice if they would just stay there.

Many thanks
    Cams

2. basnetwork macrumors newbie

Same problem here

The exact same thing happens to me also. The network computers won't come back after sleep even if you try using connect to server and the IP... Weird.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

are you using Airport? for me using Ethernet the network shares never disappear unless my PC sleeps. using Airport they disappear quite a bit. i think it may be linked with the wireless drop outs with 10.5.1

4. basnetwork macrumors newbie

Well, what ever it was, 10.5.2 fixed it, works fine now.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

same. shared doesnt disappear using Airport anymore.

6. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I'm still having the issue even with 10.5.2, that and it freezes when it reconnects to any wireless

7. basnetwork macrumors newbie

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=200802120936485

I don't know if this will help, but it might give some ideas. Sorry to hear 10.5.2 didn't fix the issue for you.