Why do PDF's render so slowly???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by APPLENEWBIE, Aug 15, 2007.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I get files with 40 to 200 pages of PDF images. On my mac mini PPC 1.42 it can take several minutes to render the first pages, and then it can take up to a minute to render each succeeding page. Any suggestions to speed this up? Would an intel do it faster? or different software? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Several minutes seems excessive. The lag that you see initially is, I think, due to using Quartz rendering to smooth everything (which is why even faxes and things look good in Preview -- try looking at the same document in Schubert-It's plugin for instance).

However, even on very long documents on an iBook G4/800MHz, I don't think I've ever seen literally more than 30 seconds. Never minutes that I can recall.

3. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, thanks mkrishnan. That really is much faster than preview or adobe reader! THis will save me a ton of time.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL that wasn't intended to be a recommendation! :eek:

But actually I do use Schubert-It preferentially as my browser plugin. The other thing I love about it is the diamond icon -- it pops up the PDF in Preview (or in Acrobat, I think, if you've got it). Comes in very handy.