Why do people Bag on the 13" MBPro's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkVinda, Feb 22, 2011.

1. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

I've noticed every other thread is NEW MACBOOK PRO due etc etc....

i knew there was going to be a refresh and still went ahead and spent my insurance voucher on a 2010 MBPro 13"...

it does everything i want it to do!

i dont blame people who are shelling out money on waiting

but why do some people just laugh at people that have gone out and bought one NOW or even a 13" i went from a 15" late 2008 and i dont regret it.

admittedly i'm moving and getting a 23" hd screen to plug mine into when i actually need to - but that wont be very often and i love the super portability of mine.

Mine is like an additional Limb though :D

Vinda

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

By waiting couple of days, you could have gotten much more bang for your buck. Most people wait so they can say they have the latest and greatest. It's also possible that there will be something extremely cool in the update, meaning that you might regret your purchase.

3. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

I understand what you are saying but I just think most people would prefer to have the very latest.

I'm personally holding on for sandy bridge.

4. ElCidRo macrumors regular

Because you are paying the SAME for 1 year old hardware :(

5. hcho3, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

hcho3 macrumors 68030

Sandy bridge is still a dual core processor. I praise u form what u did. If it fits what u need, then it's cool. Every god damn machine gets outdated sooner or later. Don't listen to others. It's ur money.

Even if new ones come out, people will be still nip picky.

1. When will mbp go full ssd?
    2. When will mbp go metal instead of light aluminum?
    3. When will mbp offer 512 gb ssd as standard? I don't want to pay 1000 dollars for an upgrade?
    4. When will mbp drop intel graphic card and go with nvidia or ati again on 13 inch?
    5. When will apple bring matte display on 13 inch?
    6. should I wait for lion?
    7. Should I wait so I can use my discount and get iPod for free this summer?

Jesus christ? It never ends for these cry babies. Go make ur own machine.

6. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

I would look at it this way

If you bought your 13" this week you could have waited until next week and had a computer that has more value as it is 1 generation newer. That will help your resale value and it will also increase the lifespan of the computer IF there is new technology released in the new MBP that could lead away from USB ports. Personally I dont care what they do with the upgrade LOL

If the upgrade is minimal then I would say dont worry about it. I dont see anyone turning their nose up at the 13" MBP. Its a great machine!

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Processor is not the only component in a computer...

8. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

I do not understand the usage of 'Bag' here: would some kind soul please enlighten me?

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No it's not, but if 13 inch gets intel graphic card only, I would stay away. Intel cannot make IGP.
    Ivy bridge for the win.

10. Hwaet macrumors newbie

Same meaning as 'diss', i.e. 'why are the 13 inch MBPs derisively made fun of?'. It's fairly common here in Australia and I presume elsewhere, though the form I usually hear is 'bag out', e.g. 'he bagged me out for buying the old model'.

11. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

I know like i said people that are splashing out the £££ i dont blame em for waiting - but theres people out there that dont want SANDY BRIDGE or the worlds worst video card INTEL IGP!!!

I HATE INTEL IGP they will never be any good no matter what happens...

But in all fairness i still have the wrap that mine came in and its in a cushcase 99% of the time unless its in use. so my resale might still end up better than a SB Refresh cos mine's as close to mint as can get and someone selling a SB model might not actually have the box still etc etc...

Bag = eerm rubbish, abuse, poo poo there idea.

Mine fits what i do - like i said i'm gonna hook mine upto a nice monitor for when i need it - i did um n er about an imac at the exact same price - but that i couldnt take to work with me every day!

12. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

on another note - the moment you walk out of the apple store - you know your gonna be on here wondering when the next refresh is...

:D

Vinda

13. eddieaus macrumors regular

i honestly don't care whoever bought old MBP right now, the loss is not mine:cool:

14. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

thank you!

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You might THINK that's what the update will include, but you don't KNOW. If you wait another week, you would know for sure whether the update is something you want or don't want, and if you decide you'd rather have the old model, you could find one for cheaper than you paid for it this week. If the refresh was more than a month out, I can see why some people wouldn't want to wait a month, but I can't think of many circumstances where someone can't wait a WEEK for a new notebook computer. So all in all, I think it's rather silly to buy a MacBook Pro this week. That said, it's your money, do what makes you feel happy! ;)

16. DarkVinda, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Mine was via an insurance claim so not my £££ so to speak. plus i got £50 off the price and £50 off an external hard drive of my choice so i got a 1tb My book NAS drive :D

I got mine on the 4th Feb 2011 and i know where i got it from it arrived with them on a 28th Jan as it had the delivery label on the box ha ha ha

thing is mine isnt far off 1 Calendar month old.

if there was rumours that it would have had a Nvidia or ATI GFX in it then i think i might have waited...but intel no thanks.

17. ElCidRo macrumors regular

yeah if the update doesn't have discrete graphics... I wouldn't worry :)

18. KumaYama macrumors member

I'm just really pleased that my last laptop was an advent, the cheapest one they had, with rubbish insides that, after 2/3 years allows me to pop to the shops in the time it takes to start-up. When I get my MBP, even if others here are disappointed I am going to be over the moon! I'm not scrimping either, it's 15" and high end spec for me. I'm fed up with low memory messages!

Roll on Thursday (or Friday, or March 1st, or whenever!):p

19. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Addressing the question in your thread title (not so much the post itself):

I hate the 13" MBP because I find the screen uncomfortably small, and I couldn't stand not having a decent dedicated graphics card (which makes me wonder why people who don't want the Intel IGP care so much, and why they don't go 15").

Addressing the issue in your post:

I wouldn't buy a MBP now because I know in a few days time I'll be able to buy the same computer at a large discount. Alternatively, I could spend the same amount of money on a much faster computer.

And I'm not giving up on quad CPUs until the new models are actually announced, nor reasonably priced and sized SSDs, and much better GPUs. Which is basically the three things I care most about. BTW, No, I'm clearly not looking to buy a 13".

20. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

C2D is ancient technology. Why invest 1200$ on it? When Apple is ready to offer better computer for the same price if we wait for another week, why not?

21. b-dogg macrumors member

Wouldn't worry too much. The current MBP 13" is very upgradable. I bought mine in June '09 just after they were released. I threw 8gb of Ram into it and installed a 128 Gb Crucial SSD as my OS drive. I took out the optical drive and placed the 500Gb Hdd in there. The machine now screams & has better battery life. Wouldn't worry too much about the update - if it was major, there would be a laptop-centric media event planned.

Although, if you're a devoted apple head, buying anything beyond 8-9mths in their yearly cycle (unless you really need it) is forgoing a higher spec machine for the same money in what could be only 6-8 weeks.

22. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Man...you have written more about holding of for lion or the iPod deal than anyone. With you bringing it up first in in thread.

Give it a rest with the crybaby stuff.

23. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i love mine - the screen aint an issue for me as i've said plugged into my 42" plasma at the moment when need the screen real estate...but am getting a 23" monitor once i've moved.

just seen someone asking for advice on what to get for there new 13" the recently got and people were just poking fun!

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Put it this way. At this point I do think it would be silly to buy the old model because chances are the new model will come out this week. Would be worth it to wait this week.

I know you say you don't want the new model, but even given your reasons, here is why I'd wait.

1. You don't know for sure what they are going to release. What if they release something with a good graphics card?

2. Even if you do not like what they release, all the sudden the model you want is worth less and you'll be able to find a good deal on it. You might (I say might because maybe they won't release the new models this week) save some money by waiting a week.

As for poking fun at the 13" size, I am completely with you. I don't want a bigger laptop, the point of a laptop is to be portable. My laptop plugs into my 21" screen just fine (much nicer/bigger than a 17" screen ;) ) and when I need portability it's a lot more portable than a 17" or even a 15". Best of both worlds :). The only issue I have with the 13" is most companies seem to think if you want a smaller laptop you don't care about capability (there are a few specialty laptops that address this but unfortunatly, all Windows running ones). Just cause I want smaller doesn't mean I don't want it to be able to do a lot.

25. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

+1 I couldn't agree more. Go buy what you want, when you want. You should let other people sway your decisions.