why do people buy 1-2 days before WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Garemz, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Garemz macrumors regular

Why don't the apple resellers tell them?

they are just going to bring their product back and replace with the new one!!

2. bdgdoom macrumors member

beleive it or not..some people dont know, and dont care, sometimes both.

3. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

Because most consumers don't know about the WWDC, or necessarily pay all that much attention to how often products change.

Also, Apple can announce that they are shipping the new products in x number of weeks after it's announced. Then people can't return stuff bought around the time of announcement.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And it typically isn't a big consumer item deliver platform for Apple.

Might get a nifty new education machine, or a Mac Pro/Server item ... but previews for new Apple gadgets tend to be back room at the Apple Booth.

5. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Id love to go in an applestore tommorow, and ask everyone I see "Are you aware new apple products are likely to be launched tommorow at the WWDC"

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Because when you need a tool to perform a task, you buy it.

You don't wait, hoping something new will come out. You don't buy it and leave it in the box so you can take it back in a week. You buy it, you unpack it, you use it.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Resellers need to sell, not provide with up-to-date stuff.
    Most people don't know the updates are coming.
    Most people don't care.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I highly doubt there is going to be a new mba so that is why I bought mine a week ago. If not then I am really going to hit something.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The world isn't as full of mega-nerds as you think. ;)

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

I can hear it now......

Mac Genius: "Oh, don't buy anything in the store!, wait a few days there 'might' be something better!"

Customer: "But I need it now!"

Mac Genius: "Well then go ahead and through money away, just don't come whining back here in a week if there's a new super-duper model".

Maybe they should just shut all the store down for a few days.

11. Rare macrumors member

Rare

Remember you can always return products within a few weeks of buying (might even be a month I think) and then get the updated version.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

To Apple themselves. For a fee.

If it's a reseller you can't return a product just because a new one came out.

13. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I have split views on this:

If you want/need now then buy now. There will always be better products along in the future, this applies to so many things, not just technology. I also agree that if you feel an Air meets your needs now then why should it not meet your needs a day later just because a new product has been announced. Answer: It shouldn't.

However:

Apple always brings out better a featured product for the same price or better featured product for less, rarely do they bring out a better featured product which costs more than the product it replaced.

So if your current computer is not broken (i.e. you are upgrading) then you can normally hang on another week or so. It is not a matter of urgency that you have new machine right away.

It's a little frustrating knowing that for the exact same price of the model you just brought you could have brought a better model had you waited a week. This is doubly galling if you could have quite easily waited that one extra week.

The other thing is that Apple computers when launched are the best value you will get them at, and Apple normally takes a hit on the margins to achieve this.

As the product continues on its life cycle, Apple will rarely (practically never!) reduce the price, so as every day passes the value for money on the product reduces (as the cost of components reduce over time).

This means that shortly before a new revision the product likely represents the poor value for money over when it was originally introduced. This is of course where Apple will pick up the margins they lost early on in the products life. Hence one of the reasons why Apple rarely pre announce anything.

On balance I would say that Apple has that few major events now that it is probably prudent to make a note of when they are in the year.

I'm sorry that was a bit clumsily explained, succinctity is a skill I am still trying to master, hopefully it makes sense though!

14. foodcoma macrumors member

Even if Apple doesn't announce an updated Macbook Air at the WWDC, I wouldn't put it pass them to slide in minor revisions (e.g. slightly larger hdd/ssd, faster processor, etc.) 1-2 weeks after the event, since this laptop has been out for about 6 months. There's probably never a good time to buy an apple product, unless updates have just been released.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FAIL. lol...

It's today, not 2 days from today.

2 weeks. If unopened, no restocking charge. If opened 10% restocking charge.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I got a new Macbook on May 28th fully aware of the 14-day stocking charge. Now if Apple comes out with a new Macbook I will pay the 10% and get a new one.

17. HotAir macrumors member

My son (22) - hardcore gamer with 3 top-of-the-line video cards in his machine - enjoys having the ability to out-kill everyone online... and it pains him greatly whenever a new upgrade of some sort comes out because then he has been somehow demoted to second-rate status.

This is a disease!

Be happy with what you buy whenever---it's still new technology.

Amen.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's a swap they waive the restocking.

19. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I understand that not everyone is aware of WWDC and so on, yet there are people who ARE aware, as evidenced by the number of people who visit sites like macrumors or threads about WWDC that still come in here complaining they just bought something only to have a new model released shortly after at a publicised event.

20. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for revisions to buy a MBP for my son and a MBA for me. I'm patient. So, is he. Gotta happen before he heads off to college in late August.

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

WE had a laptop (ibook) die at work last week. The only reason we didn't go straight out and buy a new replacement macbook is our funding decision which should have come through 2 weeks ago, got delayed by a month.

Our office manager guy needs his laptop, and I don't care if a new macbook is coming out in 2 days time, if he needs one today, he gets one straight away. (I put him on the spare iBook which we keep around for situations like this)

Any marginal advantage an updated macbook might have is insignificant compared to the disruption to the company caused by him not having a computer for several days.

The business world is different.

xT

22. Kidd38s macrumors newbie

Kidd38s

One thing to keep in mind

It's happened often enough in the past - Apple runs their back to school ipod promotion in conjunction with their mb/mbp release schedule. If a new ipod/touch (even just to throw on ebay) is something you or your son are interetested in, the benefit of that may outweigh any modest performance bump.