Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I just sold my 16gb wifi iPad2 for $400. As a matter of fact, I've sold most of my apple products shortly before a new one came out. My question every time is, why do people buy a year old used product, albeit one in very good condition, instead of a new one for a little bit more. Amazes me every time.

Any opinions on this?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I just sold my 16gb wifi iPad2 for $400. As a matter of fact, I've sold most of my apple products shortly before a new one came out. My question every time, is why do people buy a year old used product, albeit in very good condition, instead of a new one for a little bit more. Amazes me every time.

Any opinions on this?

Some people like my grandfather are just stingy penny pinchers.I called him out once because he sold a 11 year old laptop to some guy with no knowledge whatsoever.Its just in some peoples natures

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Because they know it's still a great device and they waited a year just so they can get it for cheap from desperate sellers. They don't care so much that a new iPad is coming out - it's more that they'll be able to get so much out of this great device for a bargain (in their eyes). And it's true.

I would venture to say a jailbroken iPad 2 will be better than a iPad _ out of the gate.

And there's also the dual-core processor, the front-and-rear facing cameras for skype/video production, its use as a video/movie player, the amazing screen that makes playing apps and browsing the web so much more easier (I miss my paddy :(...).

They're the smart ones. We are risking it by selling our older iPad in hopes that the new one will blow our socks off.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I just bought one because I suddenly need it for work and can't wait for the ipad3. I wasn't about to buy a new one when the prices are so low right now for used ones. Any money I save can go towards an ipad3.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I'm thinking of selling my beloved and well cared for iPad 2 64GB + 3G because I really want a retina display iPad... I've wanted it since the iPhone 4 came out.

Anyone interested?

Where do you sell?

And do you think you get a better price before the next one is announced?
(seems like you would)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Just saw a 16 GB iPad 1 Wifi on CList for $150!!

:0

I mean its like the iPad2 in a way. Same screen. Browse web...

$150.. wow almost bought it even though Im getting the HD.

MrBambinoDent

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
I think they just have more stable minds than ours :D
I'm starting to panic hoping that Apple will give us what we are waiting for cause I have already sold my iPad 2.
A friend of mine who liked my iPad but don't really care about getting the newest told me he will buy an iPad 2 for 200$ and he is betting for it :cool:
I may even get a used 16 gb WiFi iPad 2 for my wife after a while cause I can't afford two iPad 3s right away :rolleyes:

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
i sold mine and my wifes each for $415 on craigs. one was to a 22 yo college student who owned a mbp but bought mine because it had applecare. i had to figure he knew the 3 was 4 days away. the other went to a plumber who had an iphone. that one also had a year of applecare. bith had two very njce cases. but for $419 they could have bought a reconditioned ipad2 from apple with the same one year warranty. but would have paid about $25 more in tax. plus about $30 for the case so they saved about $55. presuming the 3 costs $500 and with tax $530 they saved $115 plus the cost of case, basically chump change when you compare the differences between the 2 and 3.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Your definition of "a little more" may mean "a lot more" to some people. There's a difference between $400 and $500+ tax.

Most people don't care about the latest and greatest. Macrumors is just not one of those places with those kinds of people. :cool:

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Your definition of "a little more" may mean "a lot more" to some people. There's a difference between $400 and $500+ tax.

Most people don't care about the latest and greatest. Macrumors is just not one of those places with those kinds of people. :cool:

Hammer. Nail. Head.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
@Pigumon: To your questions:
Use the marketplace forum, not this one.
eBay / Craigslist / Amazon as appropriate
Definitely. After announcement you're competing against clearance prices from Apple and all the others.

@BobbyCorwen: that $150 craigslist ad is likely a scammer or someone who will tell you it just sold, but they bought it on some penny-auction site (with the requisite link that gives them referral credit)

Millionin20s

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I have a few friends who want iPads but can't justify the cost of buying a new one at the prices Apple has listed, for whatever reason. Mostly it's because of the perception that Apple products cost too much (which is eroding, thank you iPhone) and the inability to be patient and save money for something they want.

I'm buying a brand new one because I've already done the used route with Apple products, and because I can afford to. *shrugs*

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Apple product owners know that there's a ready willing and able resale market for their bright shiny things. A big part of the reason why owners immediately apply screen films, rear films, scratch protect and coddle their devices is reflected in the ads for used equipment.

ktmracer350

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I would never pay $400 for an Ipad 2 this close the the release of a 3 let alone a few months ago when I got a mint Ipad 2 16gb wi-fi with a $60 case for $350. I was able to re-sell it for more but, still I feel $400 at this point is a little much to pay. Plus why does anyone buy anything used?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The saving money part is obvious, the less obvious part is buying a device that's over a year old and out of warranty (or a device that's nearly a year old with very little warranty remaining). A refurb may be somewhat more expensive but you get a full year of warranty coverage.

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
$100 may not be 'chump change' to some, but you gotta remember what also comes with that $100. The warranty, the ability to return for immediate replacement if any problems out of the box, a known history (most important to me). I take impeccable care of just about everything I own, and don't trust others to do the same so I can never buy used with peace of mind.

leonw

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
at home
I bought mine for half the price of a new one. I do this with all my stuff because then I only have to earn/work half of the time and because I was working only half of the time allready , I don't have to work at all anymore...

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I don't think $100 is chump change, but depending on the model they're $200-$300+ below retail currently. I don't care about Applecare because the most likely things to go wrong with an iPad would probably be my fault. (I'm very much interested in Applecare+ though if it covers accidental damage.)

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I'm sure Mitt Romney wonders why everyone doesn't buy two Cadillacs for their wives, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.