Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The entire system is built around live tiles, that is unique. It is a different take on the mobile OS then what Apple implemented and Android followed with.

No, the home screen is built around live tiles, nothing more, nothing else.

And you continue to imply that Apple was the first on implementing a grid of icons as home screen, and that was not the case.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
No, the home screen is built around live tiles, nothing more, nothing else.

And you continue to imply that Apple was the first on implementing a grid of icons as home screen, and that was not the case.

Live tiles are a huge part of the Windows Phone experience. Apple was the first to bring a touchscreen smartphone operating system into popular usage.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
No, they weren't, Symbian was the first and then Windows Mobile. And iOS continued the same exact paradigm

Yes and Windows Mobile was in huge popular usage on fully touchscreen phones prior to the iPhone…

The iPhone really defined mobile Operating Systems (on touch phones) by tweaking and improving on some existing ideas and adding new ones. Android is very similar and my sole argument here is that Windows Phone is different, which it is.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
If you want to believe that. Don't let reality break your preconceptions, have a nice day.
apple_newton-640x420.jpeg

1993… Touchscreen with a grid based OS

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yes and Windows Mobile was in huge popular usage on fully touchscreen phones prior to the iPhone…

Right, they were

Not in mainstream usage.

If you want to believe that. Don't let reality break your preconceptions, have a nice day.

Actually both is true. It depended on price point. Mainstream usage of expensive phones were basically all touch screen phones, with the exception of Blackberries. While cheaper phones used by the mainstream were still dumb phones. Not too many cheap touchscreen smartphones existed back then, if any.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I like Windows Phone, but I am not particularly fond of Microsoft either and has nothing to do with Nokia. I think Windows 95 was the first desktop OS I can remember using. Not Dos. I was still very unfamiliar using computers until 1998 with Windows 98 and AOL. Ever since, Microsoft usually had misses than hits for me. I owned the first gen Xbox. My younger bro owned the Xbox 360. I don't think we need the Xbox One. I am a PlayStation guy myself. Since Windows XP, Microsoft missed with Vista, 8, and Kin. Never completely utilized Windows Mobile's early start before revamping it 0 for WP. But hit with Windows 7, Kinect, and Metro UI which spawned the WP UI since the ill-fated Zune HD. Their services still lack behind Google. Bing is ok if you like searching for adult content.Their HoloLens looks promising and maybe the future for education and gaming but so was Google Glass and look how that turned out.

But I am still considering between a Lumia 635 vs 640. I might want to get another 635 again. If another $19.99 sale on Best Buy, I would buy 3 of them. I prefer the 635's size and don't mind having a sub-HD display since most of my videos are at 360p at best. I mean, for $20, that is cheaper than BlackBerry and some non-smartphones. Cheapest Snapdragon 400 device I can get. Moto G seems nicer because of Android but no removable battery or micro-sd slot. WP isn't my fav but 635 would seem like a better media player for me. Long battery life + loud external speaker too.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Nobody has said how they destroyed Nokia.

The company moved too slow and it was pretty much in a death spiral.

The company was slow but still #1 in smartphones, with positive indicators, and ready with the new platform when it committed suicide.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The company was slow but still #1 in smartphones, with positive indicators, and ready with the new platform when it committed suicide.

No, they sold feature phones where they were #1 but quickly declining.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No, Symbian was still #1 in smartphones.

The burning platform memo was in February 2011 and this is what crashed Nokia to fall under Apple in July 2011.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
... and I really liked Nokia. My favorite phone (still is) was the 6110.

Nokia made some GREAT phones back then. THeir last series I wasn't fond of though, just too bulky, thick and kind of plasticky pre-school toy looking. Of course the hardware was great and the cameras were top of the line so I'm just talking about pure aesthetics here.

MS really really needs to just get off their duff and release a surface phone. Just to shake up the OEM's, then when they up their quality MS can go back to their software subs and cloud business. It's all to create more hardware in the end for MS to sell services on.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

BigPete7978

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Don't dislike Windows Phones. Actually it would be what I go to if I were ever to get rid of my iPhone 6 Plus. The Lumia 1520 would be my choice of phone. Love the interface, the tiles, and the upcoming features with Windows 10 on the phones. Plus the Lumia phones are built fantastically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.