Why Do People Hate iTunes so Much?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waynechriss, Sep 7, 2010.

1. waynechriss macrumors regular

I always hear people hatin' on iTunes, that its a terrible program and whatnot. Personally i really like it, never had a problem with it and I listen to all my music on it. Why do some people just detest the hell out of it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't play FLAC out of the box. Is slow and a resource hog. Clumsy interfaces to the App & Music Stores. Distorted bastardization of the original which kept things simple and did it's job well instead of doing "everything" (everything meaning "everything Apple wants you to do) in an over-par way.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I don't see why it should. Almost no one uses FLAC files. All those who have iPods don't, and they sell millions of them. There is Apple Lossless for those who really "need" it.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is a) incorrect and b) a poor argument to begin with.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's nothing in this world that someone doesn't detest. That's just how it is. Programs can't be designed to be perfect for everyone, they can only be good enough for most people at best.

I personally have mixed feelings about iTunes. I hate that I can't play music without adding it to my library and that it doesn't support more formats, such as FLAC. Apple doesn't seem to care to allow 3rd parties to develop further support for other formats without making it a real hassle. Winamp was very good in this regard and is still the only app I miss from Windows.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

'cause its popular and the internets computer forums are filled with geeks.

7. MasterTick macrumors 6502

It's mostly Windows users since it runs like crap for them.

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Maybe because mainstream-bashing might be fun for some ...
    I don't care, for me it fulfill perfectly my needs. Ok, take some time to load first but once it's running I can listen to my music, download content and sync my devices. No hate, but also no deep love.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm not really a fan either. Sooooo much stuffed into just one app.

I do like speed of the new version - it's certainly better than before.

PC users complain that it's dog slow, and I think there's merit to those complaints. Cheap people I know don't like the fact that the store is "right there" and they might actually spend money... :eek:

Not sure I like the social media aspect that's showing up with Ping either - it's one of the reasons I stopped looking at Boxee. Dammit, I know what I like, don't share my stuff with others and I don't care to know what they like.

Bottom line, it can be slow, has a fairly ponderous interface and it's asked to do far too much.

At least it doesn't have FLAC support, that would break the camel's back! :)

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Seriously.

You're right, lots of people use them. But in percentage of the internet population, it must be less than 5%. I have no data here, and neither do you, but I am pretty sure that FLAC is used exclusively by audiophiles.

11. 2056 macrumors 6502

I used to hate itunes because I had winxp and it really bogged everything down when using it. winamp was my player. as soon as i got a mac i learned to love it.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

On Windows I hated it. On Mac, it isn't so bad, but it has been getting worse with every version.

13. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

There are always going to be plenty of people that hate various software/hardware for their own reasons. And 90% of the time their reasons have nothing to do with how YOU use it. If you like it, what does it matter if other people hate it?

Personally, I love iTunes because it's simple to create new playlists and allows me to easily sync music to my iPod. That's all I need it for so I have no reason to hate anything about it.

14. ajriggy macrumors newbie

i don't mind it but it has become a bit cluttered with the size that the itunes store has now become.

Does anyone think apple will ever employ tabbed browsing in itunes? Almost like a simple web browser. So for instance in one tab is your music that is playing then in another you could be looking for a film and in another looking for podcasts or music or something.
    I dunno maybe it's a dumb idea of mine but i think for me it would help me browse easier. That and if somehow they de-cluttered the actual store's UI, god knows how tho.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may be a reason that some don't like it, but my guess is that's a minority of users.
    Again, this may be true for some, depending on their operating environment, but it works well for me.
    I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who never uses the iTunes store, but simply uses iTunes to play the music I already own.
    Again, this depends on the specific operating environment. It runs fine on my wife's Windows PC at her office.

16. Razeus macrumors 601

Probably the DUMBEST statement I've heard today. FLAC is the standard for Lossless. Betta recognize.

17. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

What is FLAC? I've never of it before, then again I just use AAC since that's what my iPods use (yes I know they do MP3 too.).

Hugh

18. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Free Lossless Audio Codec
    Open and royalty free lossless audio format.

19. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Resource Hog, slow sometimes and right now way too bloated. it needs to be rewritten and more streamlined. it also demands a rewrite in cocoa 64-bit.

20. NCW macrumors regular

NCW

because we are all hipsters and hating on something popular is what we do

21. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

What are some alternatives to iTunes that also play Flac?
    Windows / Mac OS X compatible would be nice.

I heard of Songbird but didn't really spent too much time with it to judge it well...

And Winamp doesn't do the album art like iTunes....

Yeah... a bit spoiled, aren't we?

22. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

iTunes probably doesn't play FLAC because it's a royalty free format. Judging by the stance Apple takes on most media issues, this seems likely.

iTunes is my least favorite program. There's a lot of things to hate about it. Slow, it has a mind of it's own and does things that do not make sense (like erase my iphone when I plug it in for no reason), it's designed to be a revenue machine, not a versatile music player, I can't even think of most of the reasons but maybe I'll scrounge around in the places I've been compaining about it and post them back here.

It works for some people, it just gets to me. Clearly works better on the mac. Why if I primarily sync my iphone to a mac can I no manage media on pc but can the other way around? Whatever.

23. Mawal macrumors regular

I think Itunes is disliked, because there is no real alternative to it. Here is what I do with Itunes:

Syncing: Ipad, Ipods, Atv
    Ripping: all brand new CDs (older CDs with Eac)
    Managing music and films: over 1.000 CDs at my finger tip
    Streaming Music and films: 1 Atv and 2 Apx clients
    Remote control: Remote app on Ipod/Ipad oder via screen sharing
    Smart Playlist: this feature alone is invaluable to me, I use more than hundred smart playlists.
    Integrated music store: I rarely at the store, but itis extremely comfortble and easy, if you "need" just that song.

There is no other app coming even close to that functionality.

Otoh every Itunes update ist loaden with bugs. I update Itunes only, if I have to.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

And that is why Apple won't support it. I've made the bit that explains it bold just to help y'all.

25. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Practically, ALAC is also open and free so the argument is dubious.