iPad Why do people hate the iPad so much?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Mar 22, 2012.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I just want to know why so many people are against the iPad? It's a great product and if it wasn't for Steve Jobs, I'd be using a netbook. The iPad to me is exactly what I needed because it does everything I need to do away from my computer. I can even remote to my computer if I want. It's lighter than the netbooks I was looking at and it's so convenient and ready to use when I want. The iPad is now so integrated into my daily life, that I don't know what to do without it. It seems like people are just waiting and looking for things to go wrong with the iPad.

So again, why do people hate the iPad so much?

2. Built macrumors 68020

For some it's just an anti-Apple animus.

For others it's just plain jealousy.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not sure where you are coming from when posting this on an iPad forum. You might be better off posting this on an Android forum. You'll get better(read: more entertaining) answers anyway.

I've never had a problem with the iPad. I own a launch day first gen and still use it every single day.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Not a lot of people hate iPad 3. Just a few disgruntled people who post multiple times.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think a lot of people are turned off by the "fan boyism" that surrounds Apple. There are some people that act as if everything Apple makes is the best for everyone's needs. The truth is that people have different needs an preferences. Do I find Apple to be the best fit for my needs? Yes. That doesn't mean it's the best for everyone, which is how some Apple users/fans act. This isn't exclusive to Apple, many products have this type of following.

For example, I don't dislike the New Orleans Saints, but a lot of their fans annoy me. :)

6. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Then you must be happy that Sean Payton received a one year ban! Ouch!

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not clear on why you think so many people "hate" the iPad. Even pointing out perceived flaws does not indicate owners "hate" their iPad.

Attached Files:

8. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Some of it is ignorance. I don't mean they're stupid, I mean that they've never really used an iPad and don't understand the user experience.

I'll admit that when the first iPad came out, I thought it was a joke and would fail spectacularly. A giant iPod Touch??? What a joke!

It wasn't until I played with one in the store that a realized what a game-changing device it was. I remember calling my wife from the store and trying to explain to her why we needed one.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

it is very odd (the Anti-Apple animus, as the other poster put it).

It seems as though, it's actually an anti-liberal political thing.

Conservatism can pop up in strange places.

A liberal bias, by it's nature is more tolerant, and therefore more unlikely to suspect a political agenda.

10. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

Serious question. Not trolling. I walked into a Best Buy and was over by the iPads and some guy just started saying a bunch of negative comments about the iPad and how it's not good for anything because you can't install your own apps on it. There were a lot of other things said, but I just walked away.

11. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

3 million sold in 3 days...

Not sure if the public hates the iPad.

Oh and people enjoy hating on trendy or popular anything, not limited to the iPad.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure comments by the Best Buy guy would be my guide as to the worthiness of the iPad. Everybody knows that, unless you JB, you have to get apps from Apple...no news there. And anyone swayed by the Best Buy guy regarding iPad's virtues is even less knowledgeable than me about tablets on the market!!

I still maintain that a statement suggesting that folks "hate" their iPad is something of an exaggeration, to say the least.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Or get kicked off for trolling (honestly, this would be a trolling thread there even if the OP didn't mean it).

This is one big reason right here. It's trendy so some people are going to bag on it for that (same reason why even the haters pay attention to Bieber... I mean if they don't care about him so much, why so much focus on him ;)? <- disclaimer, I honestly don't care about Beiber, I just don't see why one would care if other people like him, well except it's cool to bag on the current popular trend to show you aren't a "sheep").

Also, there are some people who are very anti apple on principle (They don't like the closed eco system and feel that it's bad overall for tech so they don't want to see it succeed. Most of these people also are huge Linux fans I find). They like Android cause they see it as the open solution and feel that is the way things should go (and feel the closed eco system will inevitably die when people wake up and realize the closed eco system doesn't allow them to do what they want). Once again, disclaimer, I am not saying I agree, I'm saying that's their POV from what I've seen.

And there are some people who just don't think the iPad is all that (They may in general also not be a fan of tablets. I'd probably fall into this. But we'll see if I change my mind since my mom is handing me down hers, I won't complain about free gadgets ;). But they also may genuinely prefer the Android tablets for what they offer).

I think most people fall in those catagories but I may have missed some. And of course people being individuals won't fully fall into any of those catagories or some one might have something entirely different.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

This is a common misconception. People dont hate the Apple or the iPad, they hate Apple Users. And to be honest, it's not hard to see why. Apple users are no longer "oppressed" or publicly ridiculed so it doesnt make sense for there to still be Apple martyrs out there.

15. dell who? macrumors member

If a retail sales associate in any given store makes commission on selling electronics then you can count on the fact that these commissions are the slimmest when selling Apple products. I'm not going to sugar-coat this: Apple is really stingy when it comes to other companies making money on the sale of their stuff. If a salesperson is talking down on an Apple product it usually means he/she will make more commission by selling that customer a "competing" product from a different brand.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

From my experience its because people assume its just a screen that you surf the internet on and watch movies.

You have to really get dirty with it to have any hope of understanding how useful and intuitive it can be.

17. spiderman0616, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

This.

I have a co-worker who is an Apple guy, but always insisted he would never buy an iPad because it's a "big toy". He bit the bullet and bought an iPad 3 and now he never stops using it. For work AND entertainment.

18. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

And that's another point. He was against the iPad until he bought one.

Another thing is the cost of the iPad and the fact that you actually have to purchase certain apps. I've been told that an iPad shouldn't cost more than $199US. I know an iPad cost more than other tablets, but I think it's worth it. I haven't been disappointed yet. And now people are blaming the iPad because of data plan overage charges after streaming HD movies. :rolleyes:

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Why do you care so much about what other people think about your iPad? Do you need a consensus of people around you to agree before you make any decision?

My guess is that people are passionate about either loving or hating the iPad (or any tablet) because their devices have become part of their identity --thanks to marketing efforts that link products to personality traits.

20. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Consumers LOVE the iPad. Just look at the sales numbers. The haters out there are probably Android tablet users who will have a 2ndary sale price drop on their tablets. For each iPad release, Android tablets will see lower resale value. There's also the constantly angry about everything crowd that will just be displeased with things. If you have an iPad and the people around you hate it, it means that they are jealous that you were smart enough to purchase the iPad first.

21. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

I don't care what people think about MY iPad, because I'm happy with it. I just want to know why there is so much negativity towards the product. No, I don't need a consensus, which is why I have one.

22. glen e macrumors 68030

It depends on the circles you run in....in the fan circles and on forums, it's popular to bash...in real life and in the business circles I run in, I have never heard any one bash an ipad, most just ask questions about it out of real interest....

23. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

To op...just because they are stupid they have NO IDEA how superior iPad is and or they are Android loving tablet like my roommate who hates Apple products he loves Samsung Tab 7 tablet

24. mac jones macrumors 68040

First of all, the title of this thread is misleading.

I see iPads everywhere, and have not experienced this hate your describing.

Perhaps in the work place, but then again, there may be a subtext. ;)

25. Jarland macrumors regular

I hate it break it to you, but high school never ended. In high school you were either the mindless sheep who listened to the popular music and wore the clothes that were currently in style or you were the person who did the exact opposite and claimed some false sense of "individuality."

Fast forward to adulthood and you're either the mindless consumer that buys whatever the mass media tells you to and your self image is defined by how much money you spend on products you don't need, or you're the person who only supports underdogs (they just have to claim underdog status, not actually be the underdog) and spends probably the same amount of money on useless crap.

In either case the second personality consistently hates the first and everything they mentally associate with them. This person is a fool who prefers an inferior lifestyle purely on the grounds of maintaining an individuality that makes them identical to everyone else like them. The second personality lacks the capacity to understand that perhaps the first personality isn't actually mindless, but understands how to fit in with society and realizes that product purchases don't have to define your identity.

Buy what you want, support who you like. Don't be afraid to love a product. Don't be afraid to praise a corporation. Apple gets me and they make products that streamline my lifestyle to an incredible degree. I love what they do and in return for the incredible service I have always received from them, I will always assume that they deserve my dollar until they prove otherwise. Don't like it? Don't care.