Why do people have problems with Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by crazycanucks, May 27, 2012.

1. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Why do people have problems with Jailbreaking? Seems like they didnt follow the intructions or were impatient or are in over thier heads and dont know what they are doing

The instructions work. This was prob one of the easiest jailbreaks that have come out. I jailbroke my iPad 1 and 3, both iphone 4 and the Apple TV2 with seasonspass this weekend and had no issues at all And any other jailbreak that has come out, I have never had an issue going back to my 3G

2. WindWaker macrumors regular

Well, IIRC, originally jailbreaking was considered illegal by many individuals and that concept has lingered over even after Congress legalized it way back when. There's also an association that every jailbreaker illegally downloads apps through various means, which some people do. From a safety perspective, it's fine, as restoring always exists, and it's easy to do. Some people prefer vanilla iOS, and that's just what they want.

3. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Because nothing is perfect. Even updating an non-JB iOS device with iTunes can yield problems. Unknown variables sometimes pop up.

4. crazycanucks thread starter macrumors regular

Cleary didnt read my post. Not what I was asking...

5. svenn macrumors 6502

Serious? Ya it's easy to people on this forum, but think about most users. They don't know what it is and they don't want to research it because they don't care. Most people probably don't even sync their phone on a regular basis. If at all!

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Why is it that two people can buy the same app in the app store and for one of them it'll run fine but for the other it crashes on startup? It happens, no two phones are exactly alike. There are slight variances in the chips used, the CPU and even the logic boards.

I'm good with doing all this but this time I had a heck of a time just updating to 5.1.1. Then it took me another two hours to finally get a good JB. You just never know.

7. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Only problem I ran into this time was iTunes not restoring my folders and spitting all of my apps across about 10 pages on my home screen. Took me more than an hour to get it all back in order. Sigh. Happened with my iPhone and iPad. I hate iTunes. The jailbreak went smoothly though.

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I've personally never had a good experience with jailbreak, and it's hard for me to imagine that the problems are isolated to me or that they are the result of user error.

The jailbreak itself goes fine, but some of the apps/mods on cydia are just too unstable. Over time, more and more problems come up.

Just now I was finally able to reset my ipad after jailbreaking, and now something weird is going on with the restore (some apps appeared, then disappeared, and all the apps were flashing intermittently.

Ever since my 3gs, jailbreak has been nothing but headaches for me. If I had to guess, it also introduced some malware onto my devices as i've had itunes purchases disappear from my account.

9. Jedii macrumors regular

Because people have different working environments, different levels of ability.

It's not as black and white as you are suggesting.

10. Bheleu macrumors 6502

I did not follow instructions...

... and working fine.

Backed everything up, let it run (did not wipe data first, I was patient). When it said it was waiting on reboot, I took the que that I should turn it off and back on. It then said it was good, and it was.

Same on both mine and my wife's.

Loving it, though my mom worries that I did something I was not supposed to do. Also oddly, my cellular connection seems to have improved greatly after the JB. I do not think AT&T have worked on their towers in the area. Is there an inherent signal boost from JB'ing I am unaware of?

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Three 4s'sand four 4's. All set up as new phones on my computer.
    No apps on them.

2 of the 4s no problem 5 minutes and done.
    The third (second in the jail break sequence) had to be restored twice before the jailbreak was successful.

The iPhone 4 all GSM all setup as new phone on the same computer. No apps loaded.
    1st phone, jailbroke by no cell signal. Restored jailbroke fine the second time.
    2nd iPhone, jailbroke just fine.
    3rd the apple goes round and round, DFU isn't working, waiting for the battery to drain.
    4th iPhone, jailbreak done. Cydia opened then crashed. Restore again second jailbreak successful.

Overall I am pleased with the process.

I did my phone on my Mac, had a heck of a time. Ended up doing it on my dell.