Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
It seems like people on this website always say logic board, but everywhere else I read about computers, people say motherboard. I'm just curious as to why people here don't say motherboard.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
It seems like people on this website always say logic board, but everywhere else I read about computers, people say motherboard. I'm just curious as to why people here don't say motherboard.

That's because Apple uses the term logic board. They both mean the same thing, but since we're an Apple community, we get accustomed to using Apple terms :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This is from another post on here. Sounds like original logic boards were a little different than the all-in-one motherboard most folks think of today.

A logic board is the Apple Macintosh equivalent of a motherboard. The term "logic board" was coined back in the 1980s, when the compact Macs at the time had two separate circuit boards, the Logic Board, containing all of the computer's "logic" circuitry (processor, RAM, etc.), and the analog board, containing all of the hardware necessary to drive the built-in display and to power the rest of the computer's components. The term "logic board" stuck over the years of Macintosh manufacturing, even in the non-all-in-one Macs. A longtime practice for Apple when an existing model was upgraded was to offer a 'logic board upgrade' where a user could bring their computer into an Apple dealer and have the old logic board replaced with the new one, along with other upgrades necessary to bring their computer in line with the new model's specs. The old logic board would be kept by the dealer as a trade in.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4783337/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.