Why do people mixup loose and lose?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by seattle, Feb 20, 2008.

1. seattle macrumors 6502

I often see people mixup loose and lose and wonder why?

2. calculus Guest

calculus

Your kidding write? Its' because there grasp of English is a bit lose ...

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Gud poynt, calculus.

Perhaps spelling is not the focus in school that it used to be. I do notice that error quite a bit.

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i here you dude sum say dat our children isnt learning but then again there sum really confusing words out their so stop picing on ppl and just except it already! :mad:

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You wonder why when half of the kids in 1st world countries use ttyl, lol and b4?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Probably due to the same reason people misuse i.e. and e.g. (a pet peeve of mine); they just don't know because no one ever told them.

When you think about it, "lose" should be pronounced just like "close" without the "c." ...In other words, it's not spelt the way it sounds. Really, "lose" should be spelt "looze."

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Poor schooling aside (and there have been studies suggesting that mobile phone abbreviations, etc., don't affect knowledge of proper spelling–at least they're actually writing something outside of school!) this particular mix-up is pretty easy to account for.

Pronounce "loo". Now how might someone naturally expect to pronounce the word with "se" added at the end? Anyone here hooked on phonics? ;)

Also, "lose" is itself a bit of an oddity. Not much like "rose", nor much like "dose" or "close" or "nose", etc.

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

y?? mayb b/c i want2 txt fAsTeR on mah fonE? :)

haha i lub it when a PHD prof does dat, idk but its like how do u expect ur studentz 2 take u srsly?? lolz1!!!1!

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

What does ttyl stand for? :eek:

10. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Talk To You Later = ttyl hehe.

Its hard to pres double o in "loose". WHen i type realy fast i tend to mis leters that are repeated.

-JoE

11. Atomac macrumors newbie

Brought and bought are another pair. I find that confusion particularly irksome when it is in the mainstream media.

12. calculus Guest

calculus

'affect' and 'effect' is another.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Personally, spelling is overrated. Shakespeare could hardly spell his own name; as long as the intended word is used in the correct usage it's all fine with me.

One caveat, however: I don't consider there, their, they're, to, too, two, etc....spelling mistakes. It seems to me the people who mix those up just don't know what they're talking about.

EDIT: Affect/Effect. Bugs me so much; I was recently reading some publication that actually made this mistake, I couldn't believe it.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I ono. People slip up. I bet I have.

But the one that really irks me is "your" when folks intend to write "you're." :eek:

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

True, typos excepted (not accepted :p). I mean when people consistently use those incorrectly.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe the people who misspell "lose" have a better grasp of English than the people who spell it correctly and never think about "why" we spell things the way we do.

Ok, that's a stretch. Even I know I'm wrong....

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Me and you agree on that. I mean I and you. I mean you and me. I mean you and I.

18. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

LMAO :p It always bugs me when I see the loose (lose) typo as well. That and warrenty.