Why do people on this forum use Firefox on PowerPC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Intelligent, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Why? I don't use PowerPC macs often, but when i do i always use Safari. I think that Safari is the best browser in the world so what is the benefit of using Firefox?

And what version do you use? As i said i don't use PowerPC macs often so the version of Firefox i have is 1.5.0.12. I think i got it sometime in 2005-2007.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's probably used because it's one of the last, if not the last, maintained and updated browser that runs on PowerPC Mac OS X in the form of TenFourFox.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I still have it installed on a machine, but I never use it. Thats exactly what TenFourFox is for. It is a 100% FireFox replacement. I do still use Safari a lot though, but over the last year or so I find myself using TenFourFox more frequently.

4. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Because Firefox (TenFourFox) is fast, smooth and stable and it's the best browser both on my ancient yet fun PowerBook Ti and my brand spanking new 15" fully maxed out, retina equipped MBP.

I don't mind Safari, but a very close second is Chrome. The wide selection of add-ons makes Chrome an exceptionally useful browser.

5. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Firefox has more extensions than Chrome.

6. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Because Firefox runs on PowerPC not requiring an intel machine ;)

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Can Safari do this?

Attached Files:

9. sarthak macrumors 6502

I tend not to use any other add-ons besides Lastpass, ABP and MyWot.

With all those extensions you've got installed, how slow is it? Or does it even make a difference?

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

At least 40% of those addons are intended to make my browsing faster. Bluehell (which I installed yesterday to replace AdBlock Edge), Google Analytics Killer, Local Load, NoScript, Request Policy and so on.

Most of the rest are for appearance customization and ease of use. Additionally, I have optimized T4Fx by making changes in about:config.

No, it will never be as fast as Safari or Webkit based browsers, even if I just ran an optimized profile with no addons. However, that's where I compromise. A lot of users want speed and aren't concerned overmuch about how the browser looks or functions. I'm the other way. I'm usually using the browser for more than 6-8 hours a day, sometimes more. So for me, I want an environment that's easy to use and set up the way I like it. I will sacrafice some speed to get that. But, I do think in my optimizations that I've balanced speed/customization fairly well.

11. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

We're down to two browsers that are kept updated for PowerPC Macs. Those are TenFourFox and Leopard WebKit. Some are heavily into one or the other, while others will bounce between the two.

I use WebKit for Youtube usage (admittedly, more time than I really should) and TenFourFox for everything else on PowerPC Macs.

12. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Firefox blows away Safari from add-ons and customizations as eyoungren shows, heck I use Firefox on iNtel Macs and Linux as it isn't a bloated/battery hogging piece of junk like Chrome. Never liked Safari as it took Apple years until sandboxing of Lion to plug the ugly memory leaking hell but at that point *most* older Mac users never looked back. If Firefox died due to bad management or TenFourFox fork developer gave up, Opera is still above Safari...

What is even more interesting with Chrome bought a HP Chromebook w/T-Mobile Faux 4G cheap on Woot for experimental reasons and its amazing when ChromeOS can squeeze 9.5 hours without the memory & CPU usage hitting the roof like Windows/Linux/OS X--processor fan doesn't kick in unless I crank Hulu/YouTube video settings to 720p. However I ended up installing Crouton as I couldn't live without certain Firefox add-ons.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The ASUS Chromebooks do extremely well with 11 hours of battery life. Chromebooks are great machines to run along our PPCs.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

TenFourFox is beast. Brings PPC Macs browsing capability to 2014 instead of 2004.

15. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

As mentioned, TFF is still updated.

On my Macbook Pro 2006 I use normal FireFox, as far as I know Safari on 10.6 is also outdated? I haven't really checked.

EDIT: Oh and I use FireFox on my Macbook too even though there is up-to-date Safari, I think :)

16. bse5150, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I don't browse the web on my PPC Macs. If I want to browse the web I use either an Intel Mac running FireFox or my Debian ThinkPad, also running Iceweasel (Firefox).