why do people restore their new iphones 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asouns, Jul 19, 2008.

1. asouns macrumors member

people just bought their new iphone 3g and restore them immediately, is that a new trick?

2. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

They do this to get the latest firmware....5A347..

3. asouns thread starter macrumors member

thanks, why's that necessary? what's better firmware 547 better than the one on unrestored iphone

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It fixes the screen yellowish tint a bit.

But other than that, you should upgrade no matter what. It's always good to update to the latest firmware.

5. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

my version says 2.0 (5A347)
    Should I restore my iPhone?

6. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

And possibly the battery issues.

7. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

I said 547...but it is 5A347...that is the latest firmware.

Sorry for the wrong number.

8. jakeacc macrumors regular

There was a whole thread started dedicated to all the apparent fixes in the new firmware. (some think that Apps have been more stable, battery life better)

No one knows for sure what all the fixes are for the firmware. If you aren't experiencing any problems, I don't think its necessary until Apple releases a bigger firmware update.

9. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

So i'm good? I havent restored it since i got it...i just got it yesterday tho, maybe new firmware already installed?

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

no you do not need to restore. newer built iPhones have the new firmware so you are fine.

11. MacMaad macrumors member

I have the older firmware, although I'm not noticing a serious yellow tint. What if you've already loaded music, pictures, etc. on your phone? If you do a restore will it erase everything?

12. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Why woudn't that just show up as a software update???

13. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I don't think Apple thought it was worthy of a version number because the firmware only corrects the screen tint.

The original "yellowish" tint was not a bug and done by Apple on purpose to reduce glare in sunlight. Some people just didn't like it.

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

iTunes will be able to restore everything from your last backup. You can then sync your music and your good to go. I did it to my iPhone and really I can't tell the difference. The apps still crash and the screen is still a wee bit more yellow than my 1st gen iPhone. I'm sure you can wait for :apple: to release the first update if you want.

And hell let's be realistic the apps are crashing because they are in their infancy. I think that by the end of the year the bump's will be smoothed out and we will not have these kinda problems.

15. adrianr macrumors member

By which point we'll have the next iPhone :D

16. illutionz macrumors 65816

End of year for a new iPhone?? kind of fast doncha think?

17. adrianr macrumors member

Apologies, misread that as being at the end of the year of the iPhone, not at the end of the calendar year :)

18. illutionz macrumors 65816

that's more possible :cool:

19. elbirth macrumors 65816

keep in mind that any pictures taken with the phone will not get backed up automatically. You have to manually transfer those to your computer. Why iTunes doesn't create a new album in iPhoto and does this is beyond me.

20. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Good point I didn't think of that. It is kinda odd it doesn't do that for you.

21. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Actually, Apple has stated that the newer build does nothing about your display temperature.

22. MacMaad macrumors member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm OK for the moment, as I'm not experiencing any crashes (yet - knock on wood).

That is good to know... I had no idea it wasn't backing up my pictures. I already have quite a few (I'm an avid photographer) and I would have been SERIOUSLY bummed if I had lost them the first time I did a restore or update. Thanks!