Why do people say iphone 6 won't last long...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Nov 2, 2014.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I keep reading people saying that since the iPhone 6 does have 2gb ram that it will struggle with iOS 9.0. Makes no sense. Since the iPhone 5 is working great with 8.0 which is 2 iOS after.

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

It is almost certain that the next iPhone (6S?) will have 2GB or RAM. That will create some degree of fragmentation for both Apple's iOS developers and third party developers. In order to capture the greatest market, third party developers will likely continue to develop around a 1GB RAM benchmark. Apple on the other hand, will likely develop iOS 9 with features that require 2GB of RAM, and a more limited-function iOS 9 for iPhone 6 and earlier.

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Doubt this is 100% the case. Developers and Apple will still be aware of the earlier phones for longer than you think. Devs especially, since they want to sell the most widgets to the most customers. With the iphone 5-6/6+ having 1GB of RAM, you can bet it'll stick around a bit longer. No doubt, though, that it will be shorter. I'm betting with the iPhone 7, we'll see what you're predicting take place.

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

I agree and since applee never talks about ram I doubt they will say more ram on the new iPhones. It will just be there like on the new iPad.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

People clamor and complain about lack of RAM on every new iOS device it seems. Enough to make you think they sky really is falling...

Three years ago, iPhone 4S and iOS 5.0: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1245128

... yet somehow the world just keeps on spinning and Apple keeps selling even more devices. ;)

Apple builds the devices to suit the 95% of users who can barely spell RAM let alone explain why it makes any difference at all. So long as they can get to Facebook and Instagram and Candy Crush (or whatever the apps de jour are) they're content.

6. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

While true about various apps, I believe the OP was talking about iOS in general, in which case I believe they're right it will be hindered slightly.

7. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Makes zero sense. Heck, my ipad 2 is running iOS8 and has no problem with it.

8. jpeg42, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

If multitasking ever appears in a future iOS (which is a no brainer with the current screen size), all devices with 1GB or less will likely underperform or simply won't get the functionality. There is a chance this could happen with the 6. You have the larger screen but won't get the goodies.

9. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

If "no problem" and "smooth as butter" were the same thing, then no one would care. But they ain't

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I don't expect to keep a phone longer than 18 months anymore. Too many changes and I want the newest. I expect to get a new iPhone by then or maybe 12 months. I got to give my money to someone so may as well enjoy my purchases.