Why do people say iTunes is bad on Windows?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Jun 3, 2014.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

just wondering cause I think its fine, what supposedly works better on a mac?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think in general, it's the stability and ease of use that is better on OS X than on Windows. To me, on Windows, it feels clunky and unrefined.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

iTunes on Windows runs well, just like iTunes on Mac.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iTunes sucks for anything other than music on both Windows and Mac. That's just my opinion.

Honestly, Apple should have created a different app to sync your iDevice with, or at least made it less painful. Want to get a ringtone on to your device? Copy it off, then add it in to iTunes and then sync. Movies, photos, books? Same deal. Oh…want to do all of that with your iPhone 5, but you only own a PowerPC Mac? We're sorry, buy an Intel Mac and upgrade!

Thank God I'm jailbroken. It's a heck of a lot easier just dropping it on to my phone and then using one or two specific apps to import things correctly.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's generally smoother, faster, and more stable on Mac than on Windows. It was always sluggish and clunky when I had a Windows machine even with high end specs.

6. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

It runs fine.. I think people just mean that Windows in general is bad.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Windows users are accustomed to using better alternatives.

8. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

iTunes on Windows runs as if it uses the most heavy resources possible, while any other program doesn't have as much issues. It's just plain slow. Apple could refine it more I'm sure, but I doubt they care.

9. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

This. It's not that it really runs that bad anymore. It's just not that it runs particularly well, either.

10. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

If you don't have an ssd, updating apps will almost freeze your system. But Steam has also had this issue when updating your games. Since I have an ssd all these issues are gone

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have been using Apple desktops and laptops running Windows for years and years and iTunes runs just as well on Windows as OSX.

I am no fan of iTunes or my forced use of it, but it runs the same on both OS.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never had problems with it, but I prefer iTunes on my Mac over the windows flavor. I do think there's some sluggishness going on and the UI is off just a bit. Not quite windows and not quite OSX. A little of both and that feels odd to me.

13. Rafterman macrumors 68000

People don't say iTunes is bad on Windows. They say iTunes is bad everywhere. And getting worse it seems.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I think that is a very valid point.

15. stuffradio macrumors 65816

No, that's not what people mean. It's bad on Mac too.

16. cynics macrumors G4

I found it ok on windows but better on a Mac. So comparatively speaking I feel it's bad on windows. It just feels clunky by comparison. That said I'm not a huge fan on iTunes at all. But it gets the job done.

17. irDigital0l Guest

Nothing wrong with it but its just a better experience on OS X.

18. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

because it requires just as much ram and cpu usage as Crysis maxed out with 3 mods installed running at enthusiast settings to function properly. there are many things and factors that can make the app suck, like microsoft, apple and the different OEM vendors, parts, variety of hardware, little effort with coding etc. It's actually good on a Mac.

I don't suffer from that problem anymore, i switched to mac

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Don't own a Mac so I can't compare. But iTunes runs faster on my Windows 7 rig (16 gigs RAM) than it does on my iPad, so I have no complaints.

Plus, my desktop speakers are better. :)

20. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Exactly, it's a way better experience. And sometimes even more reliable as well: I often had some error codes when downloading new iOS updates in iTunes on a Windows machine, but never experienced something like that on OS X.

21. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

It just doesn't feel as quick or responsive on Windows.

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

iTunes constantly freezes and constantly stops responding and lags and closes all the time for me on windows. It's simply better on the Mac.

23. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

24. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

It runs a lot of intensive background processes even when iTunes itself is not running and the requirement to have Apple Software Updater running too is a massive annoyance to many Windows users as it slows their already fragmented and unoptomised systems down even more. :D

25. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try running it under both OS's and see for yourself.