Why do people say that an iMac can't play Crysis when ...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lordsion, Apr 12, 2009.

1. lordsion macrumors member

There are dozens of videos on YouTube of people playing Crysis in good settings ...

Like look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4wvsehdyOk&feature=related

SETTINGS:
    Video Mode-1440X900 Full Screen
    Texture Quality-High
    Objects Quality-Medium
    Shadow Quality-Medium
    Physics Quality-High
    Shaders Quality-Medium
    Volumetric Effects Quality-High
    Game Effects Quality-High
    Particles Quality-High
    Water Quality-High
    Sound Quality-High
    Windows XP SP2
    Xbox 360 Controller for Windows/360

Like my PC can only handle Crysis on all Low with 3-4 things on medium ...

Here is another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qzglpcMBKk

HOWEVER i have realized something, the iMacs that can handle it well are the 2.8GHZ versions or ABOVE

From what i have gathered if you get one of the 2009 Models of 2.93 GHZ - 3.06 GHZ with a GT 130 or ATI i am pretty sure it will be able to handle all games at least on low settings (via bootcamp or other means).

Am I wrong to assume this?

I am a casual gamer and play one or two games a month, basically Crysis or Sims 2.

I am going to order an iMac with an ATI card once people FINALLLLLYYY release proper benchmarks for games o_o

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My kids 2.4GHz HD2600 iMacs can handle all games on at least low settings at good frame rates. One person's idea of "can't play" is not the same as another's.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This comes to mind.

Attached Files:

4. Tymbo macrumors regular

LOL

5. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I play Crysis on the worst iMac from the last generation, with a good frame rate.

6. lordsion thread starter macrumors member

I know you can only partially answer this question but of course the GT130 and ATI card will handle these games even better - cause i have read that people are saying that the 130 is worse and better in some things that the previous high end graphics card.

I just want to be reassured that when i buy my ATI iMac in 1.5 - 2 weeks when benchmarks come out, i will be safe in knowing that i can play at least 95% of games ... even in low settings. Cause like i said i am a casual gamer but when i do play i like a decent game experience so i think the new ones will be able to play Crysis with 1/2 medium 1/2 high settings which is amazingly OK for me.

7. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Sounds like you are right...
    Recommended System Requirements
    from Crytek and EA

OS - Windows XP / Vista
    Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
    GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

I just ordered the previous gen imac 3.06 w/ GeForce 8800 GTS and it better be able to play crysis...

8. sgtbilko28 macrumors newbie

sgtbilko28

there are 4850 benchmarks out there for crysis... and they are good :)

9. BenManchester macrumors member

And there are benchmarks for the Mobility 4850. They aren't bad either. ;)

10. chocolaterabbit macrumors regular

Of course imacs can play Crysis, it's just that they don't play them well. My 2006 iMac used to play it on low settings, 1024x768 just fine, but at low it's just like any other game from 2006/7. it's high/ultra high where it shines, and where the imac has no chance. the 4850 might come close when it finally ships, but for that kind of money you might as well buy a 4870x2 with a PC, which will probably run crysis twice as fast, again.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I run Crysis on my iMac (8800 GS) with settings at medium, 1920x1200 resolution, and get framerates in the 25-35 fps range. It's just a tiny bit choppier than I'd like to see, but I prefer this setup to running in a non-native resolution.

12. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

People are bundling together two or more 4870 class cards on machines with i7 Quad Core processors so that they can see Crysis in all its glory, running at 1600X1200 or greater resolution with all the details turned on and a framerate that doesn't dip below 60fps.

Compare that to gaming Crysis on the top spec iMac and being lucky to get a 50fps frame rate with a lower resolution and details set to medium and you can see why the iMac is no substitute for a gaming PC.

13. IrishBritish macrumors member

IrishBritish

I think you will find the previous gen imac came with the nvidia 8800gs not gts.
    I don;t know how much these cards differ in terms of benchmarks but i think the gts is a better card.

14. mastershakess macrumors 6502

iMac wasn't designed to be a gaming computer so its not going to play anything GREAT! Sure you can play the game on low settings, with decent FPS, but is that good enough for you? Thats the question, everyone has their own thought on whether its "playable" or not.

As for Sims 2 or 3 (coming out soon), I don't see you having any problems playing this game.

15. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

When using the 4850 bench marks from other computers, you have to remember that (according to some people here) the iMac has a custom version with 512mb on it instead of the normal 256. It won't make a huge difference, still.

And the iMac is looking to be able to run Blizzard's next few games great - that's all I would really buy now anyway.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

512 MB of GDDR3 is stock on the 4850. There's nothing custom about it.

17. James Cole macrumors 6502

I remember my 2007 2.4ghz MBP could play crisis very very well, imacs with similar or better specs should be great.

18. larrymarshall2 macrumors member

I think he's saying the apple version has 512mb on it--the PC versions don't. That's what he means by "custom"

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think Eidorian is saying that the PC versions do come stock with 512MB.

20. Willie Joker macrumors newbie

512MB is the minimum for the Mobility HD 4850. Some have 1GB of VRAM.

21. chocolaterabbit macrumors regular

PC 4850s have at least 512MB ram, some even have 1GB or 2GB. The only thing unique and custom about apple's 4850 is that it's a mobility version, which is always weaker than the desktop version, in order to draw less power.

22. Willie Joker macrumors newbie

There's absolutely nothing custom about Apple's version, the Mobility HD 4850 has been out for some time in the PC world.

23. BenManchester macrumors member

I play Crysis on my 2,93 / ATI 4850 iMac:

Res. 1600x1200
    AA off
    All details on 'high' (max available on XP)
    fps 25+

It looks amazing and it is very smooth. :)

24. hoonu macrumors regular

I'm debating giving XP a try. I have the same setup but it plays like ass in Windows 7. Then again... I'm pretty anal about FPS... and i dunno if 25 is enough for me. Somehow I doubt it. I just wish we could set another 16:10 resolution in the game. Since it's not in the windows driver options... its a no go in Crysis video settings as well.

25. chandler99 macrumors regular

why doesn't the imac come with a better gfx card? something like the 9600gt in a mbp?