Why do people write Micro$oft?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Padaung, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

I don't really get why people type Micro$oft? Is it because they are a company which makes a profit?

Thing is, Apple generates far greater revenue and profit compared to Microsoft and has done for a number of years.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Microsoft were once the ones who made the big money in the tech industry but I think those people are probably just being a bit immature and think they are clever, like the ones who type Scamsung and Crapple.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its an archaic term at this point and only the most ardent haters of MS use that term.

For a variety of reasons some people absolutely hate Microsoft, no matter what they do, and they just love throwing terms around M$, or winblows. Conversely there's still a legion of apple haters as well. Its just one of those things where people seem to get too personally involved.

4. Padaung thread starter macrumors 6502

Padaung

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To these excellent replies, I'll simply add that a lot of young people see their choice of personal computer (and by extension the world of its operating system) as something by which they define themselves personally. Therefore, they tend to take criticism of a system, or computer, personally - almost as a personal attack, and respond in kind when describing the system that they don't use.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Or even just praise of another computer as a personal attack, as if there couldn't possibly be one good thing about an alternate platform.

Kids these days. (;

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, judging by the emotional intensity behind some of the posts, I really do think that some of the youngsters seem to almost sublimate their sense of self into - and derive some of their sense of self from - the computer that they have chosen; hence the response to criticism as though it was a personal attack.

This fragile sense of self has usually become a bit more robust by the time they are in their twenties, and is rarely any longer defined by whatever sort of tech they own.

Of course there are good things about the respective platforms; it strikes me as being a good idea to know how to work with as many as possible.

MS developed some excellent platforms (XP, 7, - which are both very good, and now, perhaps, 10, but I haven't used that yet), and some true horrors (Vista, and Windows 8 both of which I utterly loathed).

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I thought most people called the company BSOD. :p

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The worst by far had to be Windows Millennium Edition (Windows ME). Oh man, what a clusterf--k that was. :eek:

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, in truth, I don't really remember that one, I'm not an expert on Windows, just someone who used to use the system regularly until I switched to Apple, and who still uses it professionally when the occasion demands.

However, I do recall the good Windows systems with relief - and yes, respect - and recall, with an active and remembered dislike, the ones I simply detested.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

Tell me about it. I was in the iMac forum a few weeks ago, saying how much I'd love a touchscreen iMac. I was met with all sorts of jeers, and told I was being completely unreasonable...for even wishing there was a touchscreen iMac. I was given all sorts of reasons for why one should not even exist. "Your screen will have fingerprints!" "Your arms will get tired!" "They'll have to redesign the entire experience...how will you use Photoshop!?!!?" What it comes down to, is if Steve Jobs said no, then we must listen and follow.

12. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

13. Zenithal macrumors 68040

It's what the cool cats did back in the day. :) Now it's just emo children whinging about the treacheries of their miserable lives.

14. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

I remember when this used to happen nearly all the time online, now I hardly ever see it.

15. Talukdar macrumors member

Talukdar

I have never seen it. This is the first time I see it. Although I get some explanation of using this sign.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It would help if you publicly told those people to go fly a kite.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Micro$oft products can be incredibly cheap.

Maybe the "$" refers to pesos?

18. grad macrumors regular

It's from a different era. A better era none the less. An era where if you suggested that someday this company would get its own fans/fanboys/apologists you would be hanged (or just flamed at the forums and newsgroups). And yes, people can be defined by many things, the sports teams they select to support, the music they listen, the way they "do" computing, not just by Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

19. tdale macrumors 65816

I see that on an iPad forum I am on. They hate MS. Many hardly used Windows. Ive never yet seen a Windows user blast OSX. Its childish, and I assume that their God love of Apple is offended when MS hold a 90% global market share, and dominate enterprise. Phrases like Ill never let a MS device or app in my house, etc. And the ones that sau they've worked for decades with computers and the never ending issues with Windows. Jealous

20. grad macrumors regular

They will never admit they own a windows computer but not only they have used one but they know much more than the average windows user about solving many problems in this platform. And not everyone disliking Microsoft or Windows were/are Apple users. Again, it comes from decades ago and it had/has valid reasons.

21. Tech198 macrumors G4

Because they have trouble typing "s" :)

Apples got their fair share of money to, but i think Microsoft's a bigger market world wide... Apple likes to center themselves only in the U.S and Canada only.

22. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

M$
    Micro$oft
    MICROS~1

All cuddly ways to refer to Micro-Soft over the years.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Back when M$ was in vogue, Apple was tiny, and Microsoft was fending off (unsuccessfully) the antitrust investigation. Today, Apple is a much different company and one could postulate that the roles have reversed, i.e., Apple is the top dog and Apple is the underdog.

24. Melrose, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

It is a derisive way to call attention to the monopolistic practice that put the company up front, and also brings to mind the company's - albeit increasingly former - emphasis on corporate rather than creative decisions when making products.

I would never use a Windows desktop again, but I'll be honest since Bill and Steve are gone the company is doing some cool stuff. Windows Phone OS handily kicks Android so hard it spits out shoe polish.

I've noticed the same thing, but in my experience I've yet to see hard-core Mac users be nasty about it. Windows users are 98% of the time just bargain hunting retirees or undergrads who want a cheap computer. I have, however, seen plenty of Windows users complain about stability, security, glitches, stuttering, and general interface confusion, etc. I try to honestly help when I can (a computer is a computer, after all) but I never bash Windows simply because it's Windows. I used to be almost militant about it but realized I have a life.

By the same token: I've never seen an iPhone user blast Android users, but I have personally had a TON of Android users get almost insulting when they find out I use an iPhone. I don't get it: I use what I like, you use what you like. Talking shop with a workmate who used Android once he started telling me how Apple is a walled garden and closed this and closed that and I was drinking the Kool-aid; I explained how, usually, closed systems result in a better experience; I didn't bother telling him that Android isn't actually open source.