Why do photos have wrong addresses?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by blackxacto, Mar 22, 2015.

1. blackxacto macrumors 6502

blackxacto

Reviewing photos on my iPad Air w ios8, I notice that my photos are divided by dates and and addresses. I sync the iPad Air w itunes12 on my Yosemite IMac. All photos are from my Yosemite iPhoto library events.

The photo addresses are wrong in some of the divisions on my iPad Air. I have never purposely used addresses w photos, what a waste of time. Where the heck did I get wrong addresses on my photos?

Do I now have to somehow correct the image metadata? Sheesh what a waste.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The addresses are based on the quick location taken when the photo was captured. iOS/iPhoto then gets the nearest postal address to give the photos. You can change its coordinates using a third party program to edit the EXIF data that is embedded in each image.

3. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

Why does iOS and Yosemite incorrectly add incorrect addresses to images in my iPhoto library. I thought my device knows where it is? Do they not know where the heck they are? If so, what a useless product for mac devices?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are not fully comprehending my previous post. They try their best given when they have. It is not the device's fault if extremely precises coordinates or incomplete address records are not available. It isn't useless at all. Thinking of it as one tends to lead one on a path of pessimism and general lack of understanding.

5. jww062 macrumors member

Services do not know the exact GPS location of every address of every building. Usually, services know the GPS coordinates of a few particular addresses/points on a street, and it uses this to estimate the addresses of points in the middle.

For example, a service might know the precise GPS coordinates of 1000 Main St. and 2000 Main St., but none of the precise GPS coordinates of addresses in the middle. So suppose it gets the request of GPS coordinates that are calculated to be 1/2 way between these two known addresses... the service will estimate the address as 1500 Main St., even though the exact address is 1489 Main St.

6. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

So Apple's Photo App for iOS8 divides all my photos by these stupid wrong address coordinates. Why force my photo collection to use this incompetent inaccurate organization?:mad:

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Would you rather all pictures be listed as "Earth" or some place very local to where they were taken? You're blaming Apple for incompetence when you don't understand how the process even works. I suggest doing research on how it works to gain a better understanding of the limitations of modern technology with respects to battery life and human error.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

You have a ton of different ways to view photos - by title, date taken, album, any arbitrary sort order really. One way of viewing is by location. It's very cool to be able to look at a map and see where various photos were taken - especially if they were taken in different states, countries, etc. The "address" is just a textual approximation of where the photo was taken, and doesn't really mean anything.

Also, what is with the rampant hostility? Your phone is using tiny deviations in time synchronization to determine your position on the surface of the earth down to just a few meters, then converting that to longitude and latitude, then doing its best to map that to a street address. Heaven forbid it should be slightly off.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is extremely relevant. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E

10. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

My devices cannot pinpoint where I am apparently 50 miles away from where there were shot. And I'm forced to review Photos by Inaccurate positioning in my Apple devices, and I am suppose to just shrug my shoulders and say OH OK, DUH, AINT THAT FUNNY????? No, I expect if I am forced to organize photos by position, then it work correctly.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why/how are you forced to do that? :confused:

12. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Not only are you NOT forced to do this, but you really can't even do this. Photos in the Photos app always sort by date. For each day, you get a byline at the top that lists all locations photos on that day were taken. This has no effect on the sorting order - it's just descriptive. The only way to get something that at all approximates sorting by location is to deliberately tap on this byline, at which point you'll get a map view showing photos for the date in question, organized by location shot.

In other words, you would have to go out of your way to even do the thing that you're being "forced" to do. If you don't like location sorting, DON'T USE IT!

13. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

In address to the poster complaining about 50 miles away, I have noticed that with some pictures, taken in the same time frame of each other, use the same location of the first picture taken....now imagine you are in an area with crappy connection, I see no point in blaming the app for not knowing the exact address you took a picture at. Cmon now, you can get the general idea from the location then remember where you took the picture?? I don't see the need to blame your phone..