Why do pictures in Safari look like total crap? (with proof)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TetheredHeart, Jun 29, 2015.

1. TetheredHeart, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

TetheredHeart macrumors newbie

I noticed after going back to Safari after a while and browsing Flickr, that people looked weird and dead and in general the picture quality was extremely poor. So I took comparison screengrabs between Safari and Opera:

[​IMG]

^^^^Safari, looks like total crap.

[​IMG]

^^^^Opera, looks infinitely more alive.

P.S. you should drag and drop to browser and open with preview to really compare, or better yet open this link in both browsers: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zaramovane/19110815721/

EDIT: I have found out that Safari uses bilinear interpolation for resampling images during scaling. What was Apple thinking?????????

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Looks the same to me. Nonetheless Safari occasionally has a few hiccups when you've got a large uptime.

Have you tried restarting your Mac with the option Reopen windows when logging back in disabled? Then try again?

3. TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's still the same. And if you can't tell the difference, or even worse, don't care, then I don't know what to say. :-(

Anyway, I'm back to Opera for good, this is just a public service announcement. But I think it would be a big deal for Apple to fix this.

4. TetheredHeart, Jun 30, 2015

TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

I opened up Safari on my external monitor. Without zooming the page, the pictures look great, but immediately upon zooming they look like crap, just like on the MBP Retina display. So it's definitely a problem with the Safari scaler.

Edit: When opened up with Preview and zoomed, although the colors are different the scaling is good, so it's not global.

Edit2: When comparing in image software, the resampling algorithm used by Safari looks like bilinear interpolation, a very poor method for pictures.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I see no difference at all to be honest, but hey if the minor differences in image quality on the net is your thing you go ahead and use what suits you best.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Meh, of the two pics you posted, the Safari pic looks much better to me
    And yes I opened it in Safari and in Opera

7. maflynn, Jun 30, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I checked both in safari and Chome and Safari looked better, the image in Chrome had a bit more (tiny really) pixillation

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The below responses by other posters would indicate this issue may be isolated to your computer. So just a few things to ensure:

- OS X is fully up-to-date
    - Safari is fully up-to-date
    - Volume is OK (verification through Disk Utility)
    - May be worth trying a permissions repair and restarting
    - Ensure any Flash/Java plugins (where applicable) are also fully up-to-date

Just shooting in the dark really but it's worth checking the above.

9. TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

Updated Yosemite and Safari. Still uses bilinear. :-(

And that's good. Dunno about Chrome, but Opera uses bicubic, Preview does too. Safari looks to use bilinear. Bicubic is much more widely used is photo editing because it is much more sophisticated and produces more natural and detailed results, as can plainly be seen in the samples I've provided.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well it seems most of us are not plainly seeing any degradation in Safari. That's the issue while I'll not dispute what the browsers use , it seems most of us (who responded) are not seeing any issues with safari.

11. TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

Minor differences? Not at all, a huge difference. And if the vast majority of people nowadays don't care about "details", the people who do are all the more important, because however our awareness, everything affects us all.

12. TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

Well MacDawg sees a difference, although he has poor taste.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He did, you're right. He said that Safari looked better.

14. TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

I've disabled JavaScript, also loaded images directly in browser. Same difference, same fake and unnatural smoothness. I also have font smoothing turned off.

15. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Did you label those the right way around? On my iPad the one you marked as Safari looks loads better, there is no comparison.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You must have poor taste as well :rolleyes:

17. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I picked out a dozen or so recognizable spots with Apple's Digital Color Meter.app.
    It can't tell the (RGB) difference between the two images.

18. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Maybe you have poor taste? :rolleyes:

I see no difference, they both look like crap to me.

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Same here.

20. TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

Original. That is a nice theory, but no.

21. TetheredHeart thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm talking about Safari on a Mac, but really good to hear the iPad Safari renders pictures better. :)

Thank you.

22. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

How does it look in Firefox? I am looking at in Safari, non-Retina, and it looks pretty good. Same with FF and Chrome. I attached a screen shot of the image you posted from Safari.

Attached Files:

24. takeshi74, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

takeshi74 macrumors 601

The vast majority certainly matter. These are web browsers -- not applications used for critical photo manipulation. The majority of people won't notice a difference and it does not matter for them. The people who do notice are not more important. The matter is more important to those people. However, those people are a small niche.

If Opera is better for you then use it.

25. macnerd77 macrumors regular

macnerd77

The images would seem to have different resolutions. Unless macrumors forum is modifying the resolution something else is changing it.
    Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 2.03.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 2.03.27 PM.png