Why do ppl complain about random calls, blocked calls, and telemarket calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gixxerredliner, Dec 11, 2008.

1. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Ok i keep seeing ppl complain about these types of calls and how they waste thier minutes but my question is why answer the phone? when you see the incoming call just hit DENY problem solved right?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think its insane to not want telemarketers calling you lol

by the way, nice name

3. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Thanks dude.:)

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Very few people have my cell phone number, I often answer without actually checking who's calling (99% of the time it's my wife), if it's a telemarketer or someone of that ilk (not that any call me yet, knock on wood) I'd be royally pissed that I wasted even a second of my cell phone time on them.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've never received a telemarketing call on my cell phone, only my home phone. I always answer the phone (unless I know the number and don't want to answer it).

If it's a telemarketer, I stop them politely an tell them I'm not interested, then hang up. If you don't answer the telemarketing calls, they will never stop until you answer.

Also, it could be someone I know calling from a different number, so that's another reason why I always answer.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you answer the phone, they know someone will answer the call and will sell your number to others.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you dont answer, they hit your voicemail confirming theres a person.....

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Ha... that made me laugh. Either way you're screwed.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

That's why my voicemail doesn't have a personal message.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you get that many telemarketers to warrant not having a voicemail? im sorry lol

11. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Hmmm

I pretty much know every number that calls me and if i dont they get my legendary "ACCESS DENIED" lol. if its someone i know they will leave a message if not oh well :) isnt thier a national do not call list?

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you're getting telemarketing calls on your cell phone and you live in the US, follow these instructions:

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

In 10 years I have never gotten a telemarketer on my cell phone except from companies I have signed up for something and said they could call me.

I get lots on the home phone, though.

I dunno, something about the U.S. is that companies seem to understand that telemarketing a cell phone really angers people. They tend to stay away from it as much as possible.

14. jlwillia macrumors regular

A little known secret

For those of you in the U.S., there is a national "do not call" list that you can register you phone number with. Your number will be removed from any telemarketer phone number lists.

Other countries around the world might have similar lists, not sure. Here's the link to the U.S. one. Notice it's a .gov domain so it's legit.

https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Ohhh... I beat you to it!

16. jlwillia macrumors regular

I noticed that immediately after I posted, but figured I'd leave the post up to emphasize the point. I can't believe more people don't know about this.

Can anyone in other countries confirm or deny the existence of such a "do not call" list in their country? Maybe it's not as much of a problem outside the US? Here in the US, it was special legislation that created the list because of numerous complaints. I guess in that sense, it is similar to the legislation that required cell phone providers to pro rate the ETF fees according to how much (or how little) time remains on the contract.

17. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I have VM, but no personal message. I just use the default messages the system provides.

18. whickey macrumors newbie

because people need something to complain about to make them feel important.

19. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

I usually let it go to voicemail, but thats a bigger problem, then i have to go to voicemail, enter my passnumber, wait to hear option to listen to message, hear first part of message, delete, repeat.

It's a big pain in the butt:mad:

20. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Don't you have visual voicemail?

21. moka macrumors 6502a

i have a pay as you go first gen iphone since February of this year, never got a telemarketer call until a week ago, it all started and i started getting at least two calls a day from these unworthy people, Very very annoying. Just did what themoonisdown09 suggested and hopefully i do not get anymore of these calls.

22. moka macrumors 6502a

what if its someone you know that's calling using a different number? i have been in these situations many times.

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I don't get the point of this thread. So, are supposed to like it when we receive these annoying and intrusive phone calls? Wasn't it complaining that actually led Congress to establish the Do Not Call list? Lol.

24. cw2k7 macrumors member

In the UK you can register your number with the TPS to avoid unsolicited sales and marketing calls http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ (they also provide offer a similar services for faxes and mail). This service was created when the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 were created.

This regulation also makes it unlawful to send unsolicited direct marketing text messages and email (you don't need to register for TPS to benefit from this)

You can also register for silentcallguard to reduce the number of silent auto dialed marketing calls (this needs to be reactivated each year).

25. g4pismo macrumors member

g4pismo

well - I travel internationally quite a bit. callerID is mostly borked, so I must answer. It gets quite expensive on a month long trip...I also get many calls from referrals, so I dont know those numbers either..

..but thats just me :)