Why do program Icons show up on the desktop when--

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juiceman311, Jun 24, 2007.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

I run the program? Like Adium or Mozilla Thunderbird...the icon shows up on the desktop. Is there a way to not have the icon show up? Cooooool

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Screenshot please...

Do they appear like icons? Or on the dock?

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah, as psychofreak said, a picture would be really helpful (press Apple-Shift-3 to take a full-screen shot), because I can't think of a single thing that would do that. Unless you're talking about the icons that appear in the dock, which is not the same as the desktop.

4. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

ya, the dock would be the only thing i can think of

5. mithun914 macrumors member

could be that....

i could be wrong , but i think u downlaoded those two porgrams and they appeared on the desktop....if so u should drag them to the " applications" folder..

if that's not it , den ya show a sreen shot.

6. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

nope on the desktop not dock...how do you screen shot on a mac, and then, how do you retrieve the image.

7. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

CMD (The "Apple" Key)+Shift+3 will take a screenshot of the desktop and save it as a PNG on the desktop.

Also, I believe what you are describing is what happens if you don't actually install the program but run it from the disk image.

When you download a *.dmg file in OS X, you should double click on that, which will mount the DMG as if it were a disk drive or a CD. Then, OPEN that drive and drag the program within to your applications folder. Once you're done with this, you can eject the Disk image and throw it away.

8. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

9. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

paymonnourparvar, I mean juiceman311 ;) the applications you are running are acutally DMG files that contain the application file(s). You need to drag the contents of the DMG into your applications folder and run the app from the applications folder.

10. maxmax macrumors member

looks like cameront9 is correct. you're running it from the ".dmg" file which is a disk image. open the .dmg and drag the icon to your applications folder. then run the application from there. you'll want to put that new icon on your dock and now you can delete the .dmg file.

11. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Yep, that is the issue. Drag them into the app folder. You are going to want to do that soon to because when you restart your computer the DMG's will disappear.

12. burrisie macrumors newbie

burrisie

Ok, I need help with this too. Only happens when I am using google earth or Firefox. I have already dragged it into the app folder, but everytime I open the program a new one pops up onto the desktop. As soon as I quit the program it goes away, but is there anyway to prevent it from showing up all together?

When I drag it into the app folder while the program is open, it makes an alias.

Attached Files:

13. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, thanks for the quick help guys. Give me another few minutes and something else about OSX will bug me and I will promptly ask about it here :rolleyes:

14. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

That's great, but if you've got lots of newbie questions do try a search first. We do understand that the search functions on MR are not great, in fact they're crap but give it a go because they often work for simple stuff.

This is from yesterday.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=318261

If you need to take screenshots you'll find Snap n Drag easier.

15. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You're not supposed to drag the whole disk image to the apps folder! You're supposed to open the disk image and drag the app -- in this case, FireFox -- to the apps folder. Remember, disk images are like CDs -- would you install something by dragging the CD itself onto your system? No, you'd open it up and find what you want inside.