Why do recent threads get closed and posters directed to News Discussion Threads?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Hoosier317, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Hoosier317, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017

Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

That mod had some hand in it. They are the one who wiped out the threads and existing conversations that were already happening. Very sloppy work this morning.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

He's only doing his job on the forums and I'm sure this article will be updated when the editors are up to date and have caught up with all the reviews.

We are asked by the site owners to keep the focus on the news discussion threads wherever possible, so other threads made be closed or merged to cut down on forum bloat.

3. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Admin, why did you close threads we were active on and force us here??

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

thats fine but at the same time you don't want to stop perfectly fine discussion in your other forums

5. Hoosier317 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Driving clicks and attention to their authors apparently.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like that would just have repetition of the same thing in multiple places if there are already threads where discussion can take place.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is a difficult subject. On the one hand, I completely understand why MR wants to encourage centralized discussion, and it's something I support. On the other hand, sometimes sub-topics come up within the main discussion that deserve spinning off into their own threads - I've seen this happen often after WWDC events. Maybe the simplest way to resolve this is for someone who can edit the rules to clarify what is expected of us in a situation like this. Less complaining about inconsistency is better for everyone, I think.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If that happens, report the first post in the sub-discussion and explain what you want and it may be something we could move to a new thread in some cases. We would not have the time to sort through a hundred posts, but if say six posts in the middle of the thread were worthy of moving off to a new thread, that might make sense for us to do. Would that help?

9. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Indeed this is annoying. A perfectly fine thread is so often ruined by the appearance of the story on the front page.

It wouldn't be so bad if the story appeared very quickly, but of course depending on the time the story breaks it could be several hours.

Would a solution be to disable comments on front page stories when this happens, and instead link to the existing forum thread?

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Absolutely, would improve the current situation significantly, from where I stand.