Why do so little apps use iCloud to save their data?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Merkie, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't get it. I was really excited about this feature when it first was announced, but apps hardly use it! The only app I know that uses it, is SoundHound. It would be awesome to play GTA3 on my iPad and the continue to play where I left off on my iPhone, but alas, not gonna happen. Can anyone tell me? Is there some kind of technical limitation?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Fairly new offering by Apple, so I am sure developers need time to implement any changes needed

3. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

New apps rarely use it. It's been 6 months since the first beta. No excuse. I doubt it requires a lot of effort to implement it.

4. Ashwood11, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Apple seeded beta software to developers before the launch of iCloud so that they could implement the iCloud feature to store data created by their apps. The fault should not be placed on Apple for the failure of many developer to add this feature. My guess would be that their apps never made the developer as much money as they hoped or expected and they don't want to invest the time to add the necessary code?

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Because iCloud is stupid, and any developer can just store stuff on their own servers anyways.

6. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean, very few of my apps use this feature and it would be great if more of them did!

7. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I expect the reason been that iCloud is still relatively new. I can see in a few months time there will be more apps that use it.

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

But do they use their own? What if they don't have their own servers?

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's starting to take hold, but iCloud developer seeds were not as plentiful as you might imagine.

The tool kit for MacOS has not been released yet either, which will expand use as well

10. TC25 macrumors 68020

When can we expect your first app that uses iCloud to be available in the App Store?

11. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

there already are apps that do.
    for example, Doodle Jump saves it's data to iCloud

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The main reason is the API is still massively unstable. Apple have repeatedly changed how it works, and it's as buggy as all hell.

What developer wants to follow Infinity Blade 2's example and find itself stuck with thousands of 1 star reviews over iCloud corrupting data on the device?

Phazer

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

We have not seen any stability issues with the API or iCloud storage for our applications at all.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

A lot of apps do use their own cloud-based services.

15. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

How many servers do you want to log onto to sync your app data back to your iDevice? I would rather go to only one: iCloud.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It's like multitasking and Retina Display graphics. Some devs are always quick to implement, some take a few months and some never bother.

17. BiggAW macrumors 68020

That's a general issue with iOS, especially with Google Accounts, since so many apps are built on Google services. Android has a leg up there.

18. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Bump. 3½ months later and no change at all. I have 137 apps and only one (SoundHound) uses iCloud. It's a mystery to me. Maybe Apple should take the effort away from the developers and automatically sync app data to iCloud.

19. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Unless you're a developer I don't think you should assume how easy/hard it is to produce something. Might not be as simple as it sounds.

I read somewhere that the reason behind it is that Apple might not have supplied enough documentation yet for developers to know what they're really working with.

I know Tweetbot just recently updated their iPhone and iPad apps to sync via iCloud which is a pretty neat feature. It's just a matter of time before more developers start taking use of the service for new features.

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

How long does it have to take before people accept it isn't working? It's been what, eight months now?

The only non-Apple app that has implemented iCloud on my device is Infinity Blade 2 (which was a disaster that deleted every savegame for the first three weeks).

Meanwhile, there's still a hundred apps on my device where I can't delete them without losing all the data, without resorting to digging through system files via iExplorer.

Phazer

21. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Working perfectly on Tweetbot, Pages, Numbers and Garageband for me.

To anyone who asks, "why don't developers just store it on their own servers?": server infrastructure, bandwidth and the human resources to maintain them are not free. Small and/or indie developers might not be able to afford them initially, or ever. What Apple is offering to developers with iCloud is actually pretty amazing. Just another step toward democratizing apps development and distribution.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

23. hotngui macrumors newbie

You have to discount Pages, Numbers, and Garageband because those are Apple created apps, and we all know that internal developers have access to API that us 3rd parties do not. (Exactly what they accused Microsoft of many years ago).

Am moving one of my apps over to support the iCloud right now - its definitely a lot more work than you would think, especially if you use CoreData to store your data. I am already seeing that lots of testing is going to be needed to avoid data corruption issues.

24. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Agreed. I have been experimenting with iCloud and I am surprised at how complicated it is to get up and running. The documentation is poor too, especially for Core Data apps. I have a database app for OS X and Apple's documentation basically says "you are out of luck using this with iCloud".

25. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020