why do so many people take what Apple does so personal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cicatrix, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I mean I hear a lot of belly aching over the new MBA, and the new MBPr lately. glued this, fused that. lagging this fuzzy that. MagSafe 2 sucks, no IPS. no retina in the MBA. MBPr is not light enough. pink and green hues on my screen.
    I have been frequenting the forums lately and it seems theres an abundunce of whining going on. its pretty annoying. there's a lot of crying babies lately. lol. if you don't like the merchandise why not just pass it up and choose something different. all of the Apple products I've bought so far have been top notch. if there's something I don't like about a particular devise I don't dwell on it. i find something else that can do what i need.

2. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

You are whining about whining. Metawhining.

3. glen e macrumors 68030

Stop acting like an adult cicatrix, and seeing apple products as just products, this is a very mature attitude and there is no room for that here ...LOL

and now back to trying to locate which plane my MBA is on, as it wings its way to me… Later this afternoon I will try to figure out exactly how much pinkish hue my iPad has..... a full day of investigation for me!

4. asattwanger macrumors newbie

I know what he means. I was a little over whelmed when I learned 2 weeks ago the gossip level of Mac products.

I think it is silly, but then again my computer is a tool and as soon as I get the pictures and video done {much quicker once I receive my MBA} I will be leaving it there, going outside, and skating/pictures/video until I need to make another video.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Cool, was wondering what your day's schedule was. (y)

6. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Clearly you have no idea what it means to be a consumer. You buy goods that satisfy as many needs as it can, and if it doesn't you buy something else. But what if there is nothing else out there that you want? Then you go to the product that comes as close as possible and start figuring out what could make it better. This is what consumers do.

You consider that process to be whining but in reality then complacency does more damage to the future of products than people expressing what they feel is missing. And whining about the whiners? Well that solves nothing...

7. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Why do so many people take it so personal?

First, don't take the whining threads on here as typical. They are not. The vast majority of people who buy Apple products recognize that is all they are, products to be used and, in some cases, enjoyed.

Second, the people who whine on here fancy themselves as the experts on Apple product development, want to prove their 'wisdom', how only they can see the intricacies and the esoteric issues no one else can. Ineffectual whining on Internet forums forms the center of their lives because the rest of their lives are so empty it provides no perspective on what is really important in life.

8. KittyKatta, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

What if what is important in someone's life is to be able to extend the life of the expensive hardware they bought for their struggling business by installing more memory down the road rather than throwing the product away and having to buy a new one? A memory upgrade for the newest ram intensive app used to be $100. Now it is $2200. Why shouldn't people have an opinion on that?

I hate to break it to you, but being judgmental does not equal being right.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

There's a blog somewhere, floating about the internets, which, whenever I show to apple fanboys, they get upset with. I've since lost the link, but I'll try to re-create the crux of the argument from memory:

You can walk into any walmart or best buy and pick up a laptop for $400. You can get a desktop for even less. To spend 3x-6x more money for a computer - we're going to ignore specs, appearance, OS, everything and just focus on price per computer for a minute - is emotionally challenging. In order to justify spending so much on the computer, you need to fixate on things that are better about it than your $400 Toshiba or $300 Dell. Is it prettier, is it faster?

These fixations are your mind's way of rationalizing your $2200 MBPR or $1200 iMac.

And anyone who made the other choice, to not get a mac, is a threat to your rationalization. So they must be wrong. And since they're wrong to get a PC, and you're right to get a mac, why wouldn't you help them?

I know this explanation will hit a nerve with some people, if you're one of them, ask yourself. Do you buy WonderBread for your sandwiches, or do you buy 15-grain whole wheat bread? And why would you spend so much for the 15-grain whole wheat bread when WonderBread is just as good for holding PB&J?

You tell yourself it has 14 more grains than WonderBread, it's made from whole wheat, and it's got more texture maybe. You made the right decision, and people who buy WonderBread either can't afford it, or don't realize how bad it is. Sound familiar?

Obviously you can get into nutrition information, shelf life, taste, etc, but at the end of the day, you're using said bread to keep peanut butter and jelly together. But you know which one's better, and if you were at the grocery store and someone asked you which to get - white or wheat - you know how you'd answer ;)

10. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

hilarious.

I guess it is a really good way to get consumer feed back which I hope helps Apple in considering making their products. I know there's always room for improvement on any product.

11. kodeman53, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

kodeman53 macrumors 65816

A business decision is just that, a business decision, not a whinefest. Of course, if the owner of a 'struggling business' is wasting time whining and complaining on a discussion forum, that might explain why their business is struggling. And businesses do not throw products away, they resell them or repurpose them. Business people, good ones anyway, recognize whining on the Internet accomplishes nothing.

When business people buy things they recognize they are purchased to perform a task, and they either perform that task at a reasonable price or they don't. If they do not, then the smart business person either doesn't buy the item or recognizes the deficiency and addresses them some other way. They do not denounce them as if they were a jilted lover denigrating the former object of their affection.

12. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

In a recession when fewer people can buy sports cars, this is a good penis substitute for the masses

13. glen e macrumors 68030

Wow...just wow....a competent, INSIGHTFUL business view here...thanks so much...there is this....and then the dorm room mentality , IMO....Gues who whines?

14. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

I'd disagree with you but I've got to go get in my M3 and buy some accessories for my new Macbook Air.

15. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Wow. My guess is youve never had your own business or you've got wealthy parents to bail you out if you ever run into a problem because these answers sure arent based on experience. Well, good luck in life and hopefully you never reach the status of someone who has to make important decisions or manage people who desire to express themselves.

16. zerotiu macrumors regular

Hey, if you love someone, you will complain a lot, trying to make him/her better but at last you will accept them. That's what I see. I've been a lurker since 2008 LOL.

My MBP early 2008 is still working good for 4 years now. That is without re-installing. Mac OS is so damn good, that's why sometimes people whine 'Apple can do this, why they don't?'.

From Apple perspective and my opinion, whining shows that Apple customers care about the products. I also use pcs, I love windows but I never care about it. I just use it to run another design program / old program.

You can say that i'm an Apple fanboy, but also Olympus fanboy, android fanboy. You love what you use, you can't deny it. If you buy a product, it means you love it more than other brands :D

17. dona83 macrumors regular

Lol this is like an auto forum I go to. We complain that cars are overweight, the manual transmission is dying, wagons are disappearing, no one except VW, BMW, and MB sells diesel, etc. because we are auto enthusiasts but at the end of the day, it's the non enthusiasts spending the money.

18. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Think its an internet/forum thing rather than an apple thing.

People get very upset on the interwebs for some reason.