Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
How come when I close a window in safari (and maybe some others, I'm not sure), the arrow underneath its' icon stays?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Because the program is still running. You've only closed a window in that program. With programs like Safari that use multiple windows, closing all of the windows doesn't close the program. The same is true of Office programs, but it's more obvious that the program is still running because you can see all the toolbars.

There are some apps that only use one window that are programmed to close completely if you click the red "x" button, but many require you to close via the menu, the dock icon, or Command-Q.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
because you only closed the window and you did not quit the application.
to quit, command+q or go through the app's menu, or click the dock icon until the menu pops up to quit or command+tab through the currently opening apps and press q to to quit the selected one.... etc.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
The main reason for this is that some apps, such as safari or itunes are designed to run without a window open (playing music in the background or downloading, whereas others have no purpose to be open without a window such as iphoto, i hope this helps, if you wanna shut any app, command (appkle key) and Q everything keeps it simple.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
While it's true that some apps quit when you close the active window, most apps do not. Therefore, closing a window in Safari is just that. In order to quit Safari, you've gotta use the old "command Q."

From a UI standpoint, this should be consistent. I'd consider window behavior in general to be a minor flaw in OS X.

Edit: Wow, I'm very slow.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
this is not a flaw, this something i love about osx, they have really thought about how each app is used, like, is it useful to be open without a window? or should the 'maximise' button make the app full screen, or adjust to the size of a website or make the app a mini audio player, its the small things that make it great.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Haha, wow, that's why I love this forum. I always get a reply so fast (5 replies in the case). But seriously, it's awesome, everyone is so willing to help.

Anyway, Thanks alot.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
speakerwizard said:
this is not a flaw, this something i love about osx, they have really thought about how each app is used, like, is it useful to be open without a window? or should the 'maximise' button make the app full screen, or adjust to the size of a website or make the app a mini audio player, its the small things that make it great.
Fair enough. I don't disagree with that. What I do hate is that some minor windows (find windows, especially) behave inconsistently. Some of them close with a Command w, while others require that you click the red "close" button. No big deal, I guess, but I've inadvertently closed the window I was working in while the little find box sits there gloatingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.