Why do some people think there will be a re-design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LVdustin, Feb 27, 2008.

1. LVdustin macrumors regular

I am not posting this to start an argument, but literally, if you have been an :apple: user long enough, you should know, that hardware re-designs are rare for new products. I mean look at the iMac, it had the same design, with revisions for almost 5 years, and look at the mac pro, it has had the same design just like the Power Mac, for several years.

So why is there speculation there will be a redesign for the Macbook Pro? I mean there has been several hardware spec updates, such as adding a Firewire 800 port, LED display, a Multi-Touchpad and several other instances. But a Re-design totally doesn't sound logical at this point, especially since the Macbook Pro has been out for about 2 1/2 years, and it's finally starting to take shape to utilize every feature aspect.

I mean, i would love to see a hardware re-design, and some new incorporated internal hardware, but there is just no hope for that in my mind..

What do you all think?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I think it will have a minor redesign soon. It is the only apple computer not to have the macbook style keyboard for a start. It's also the only laptop not to have a magnetic latch. But I don't think there'll be a major redesign.

3. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Exactly. The aluminum of the current MBP matches the aluminum trend they are currently going towards, so the only other practical design enhancements I can envision are what you said.. new MBA style keyboard, magnetic latch, loss of the gray plastic around the sides ect.

Evolution as opposed to revolution

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

From what I've been reading here and on other sites, it would actually be logical for some kind of at least mild redesign of the Macbook Pro because the Montevina processor would necessitate a form factor change. I'm hoping that happens. Although I think the current Macbook Pro is the most attractive laptop available, it's been the same for a long time now.

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

We might see more frequent designs now since apple has finished the transition to intel (they kept the same designs to remind consumers that the computers were fundamentally macs). The iMac g4 and g5 designs only lasted 2 years. Same with the iBooks and PowerBooks. The mac pro is an probably an exception sine it has a smaller market than the iMac and the MacBooks and apple can get away with the same design.

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I don't know how likely it'll be that there'll be a complete redesign, but I think they will probably add things like

a) new keyboard
    b) magnetic latch
    c) bigger trackpad to accommodate multi-touch

There's no reason at all not to do those things, at least, none of which would require a great redesign, but merely subtle changes. I really want a bigger trackpad before I'll get a MBP, though, and hopefully a new keyboard

Some also think the MBP may get tapered edges more similar to the MBA, and personally I would welcome this. I'd like some sort of change in looks a lot, but I don't know how likely Apple is to change it that much.

7. LVdustin thread starter macrumors regular

the iMac G5 design was kept roughly for 4 1.2 years, the iMac G5 design transitioned with the Intel processor as well. The only main designs the iMac got over the years was a built in iSight, hardware spec changes, and slimmer, but same form factor. the iBooks kept the same design from May 2002 to May 2006, and the Powerbooks kept their same design from December of 2002 to roughly October of 2006, They keep their designs for a very very very long time.