Why do the anit glare "matte" screens cost $150 more?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wtmcghee, Apr 19, 2010.

1. wtmcghee macrumors member

I bought a MacBook Pro four years ago (first edition after they started using Intel) and I believe there was no price premium for it either. I like the Matte a lot more than the glossy display but this might be because I have been using it for so long. I like the anti-glare and possibly might buy one of these new MB pros. Why does it cost so much more for them to implement the anti-glare these days, am I missing something?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Because on the new models, the matte option is only available in the hi-res option. You can't have a standard res screen with matte anymore.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The anti-glare feature was discontinued for a while. They brought it back as an option. The anti-glare is only $50 more. The other $100 is for the high-res option.

4. wtmcghee thread starter macrumors member

So is this new high res display, 1680 by 1050 that much better than 1440 by 900? I'm about to graduate and just do the normal computing stuff so I don't really know what the benefits are except that I like having a lot of room on my screen to move things around so I feel like the high res matte would be a better choice for me, I guess.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Sounds like you know what the benefits are. Its up to you to decide if they're worth 150.

6. soms macrumors 6502

soms

It's only $50 more, the extra $100 is for hi-res display(same if you go glossy).

Kinda sucks because it was free before they did the unibody switch :(

7. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I just used the high res antiglare at the apple store and it's pretty nice.. upgrade is worth it if you want antiglare. The resolution increase from 1440 to 1680 is noticable but it's not that significant.. I'd be fine with either, if you're getting glossy I'd just stick with the standard 1440 display..

8. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Because you are inconveniencing their production system by asking for a non-standard option.

doris