why do the new mac's cost MORE?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nebarik, Mar 3, 2009.

1. nebarik macrumors member

judgeing from the american site it looks like the mac mini and imac lowends, stayed at the same price. and the mac pro got a $300 discount.

but on the australian store the mac mini went up by $200, imac by $400 and mac pro by $500 and lost one of the pricessors!

i was waiting for this update to get a better mini for the same price. but wtf?! AU$1,050! i could build a PC, get a monitor and keyboard with it, then hackintosh it for half that price!

whatever happened to the recession?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The exchange rates have changed. The Mac Pro has also changed a lot in value for the hardware you get.

3. nebarik thread starter macrumors member

hmm, that does explain a fair bit.

it wasnt too long ago our dollar was almost 1 on 1 with the US one. then the economy hit the fan and now its down to something like 60 cents

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Have you been under a rock? :p

The economy has collapsed, the exchange rate is totally screwed.

Here the iMac went from £799 baseline to £949 baseline. I predicted that price :)

5. nebarik thread starter macrumors member

my reasoning about the economy crash was that apple would try and keep prices down. guess i didnt take into consideration they were a american company and the exchange rates were indeed screwed..

believe you me, i know about the economy. lost almost all my shares in the stock market i was trading at the time. and work has been scarce. not the best time to be freelancing.

6. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Apple only makes computers for people who make 100k or more a year and can only be started using the keys to your BMW or Mercedes. perhaps you should look into e-machines for your computing experience with the rest of the dirty common folk :D

/sarcasm

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Answer-the same reason I pay more for a BMW than a Ford. Macs are
    better.

8. G4DP macrumors 65816

The rest of the world sees a price increase so Apple can give it's biggest single market a reduction. Will always be this way.

As for the Mac Pro the base line model is about on par with the old recommended configuration. The new chips give a 20% increase - ignore all the hyped rubbish you hear. 2.26 is approx 20% less than 2.8, as he new Xeon are HT enabled your still getting 8 cores. So all in all a lame update on the base model.

The rest - enough people have pointed out the general feeling.

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Apple doesn't want to build computers for low prices. They always aim to make the highest quality machines in each class. They cited this reason to explain why $99 iPhone was not feasible, or to explain why they weren't planning to make a netbook, for example.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

New Mac Pros cost an extra $1000 here in Australia.

Exchange rates have changed, but that still doesn't change the fact that they are now an extra $1000.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well BMW vs Ford is a fine because chances are the BMW is faster(of course, there isn't really a need for that, but its car specs are higher)

The Mac vs PC thing is troubling because the Mac is slower(as far a specs go)

12. blueicedj macrumors 6502

You can configure the specs you know, get them how you want. And that is a good point you made, a mac with lower specs does run faster than a PC with High specs. Exactly why when you buy a camera you can't just look at specs. You can have a 12 mega-pixel camera that looks worse than a 5 mega-pixel camera.

13. nebarik thread starter macrumors member

im gonna try and step in here and stop the mac vs pc thing. try to keep it new mac updates vs the old ones.

as Jethryn said. sure the exchange rates mean they cost the same for apple to sell here. but to us all that happened was a price increase and slightly better specs

it just seems really unfair

14. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Fair enough, your thread, I'll respect that

Basically Apple wants to keep profit levels around the same(in US dollars), so they have to raise prices outside of the US else they'll make the same Euro, but that ends up as less US dollars.

Now I think Apple might be over playing their hand here, but we shall see!

(Thats me assume stuff, but its seems rather logical)

16. Mj2sL macrumors newbie

It's too bad that the low-end Mini and iMac are 100 euro more expensive now. I thought 500 and 1000 were nice prices. It seems like most people have 1000 euro as some sort of price-barrier, and if that's the case, sales could suffer... I'm still unsure whether the new iMac is worth 100 more over the old one (perhaps more because end-of-life).

17. Smacky macrumors 6502

Wha? The topic being discussed is more analagous to BMW charging more for the 09 model then the 08, but with no change in design and very little upgrade (e.g. Mac Mini - same case, bit more ram and hdd)

18. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Heh, because Apple can charge more - Because they know people will buy them! That and the economy...

19. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

More RAM, more HDD, vastly better graphics w dual monitor capability, sata DL dvd burner, built in speaker, it's all good..

20. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

...That doesn't make sense.

Just because 1,499 < 1,999 doesn't mean that $1,499USD is less than $1,999AUS (the prices of the base iMac in both the US and Australia).

Please, go and study what exchange rates are. Today, if you went from the United States to Australia, every $1 that you had in American currency would get you $1.55 in Australian dollars (because the Australian dollar is currently worth less than the American one - this means you'd need more dollars to buy the same things).

That means if you brought $1,000 American dollars with you, you'd get that exchanged to approximately $1,550 in Australian dollars. So, the $1,499USD base iMac would cost, technically, $2,323.45 in Australian dollars (based on today's exchange rate). Since that's not the case, and we're only expected to pay $1,999AUS for it (which equates to approximately $1,279USD), we are actually getting it cheaper than you guys in America.

21. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

While the mini's updates don't seem sexy, they will result in a substantially faster machine - especially at media stuff which is what people want to use it for quite a lot of the time.

It's the imac that I'm actually a bit "meh" over myself.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Really? The current Ford Mondeo is arguably a better can than the current BMW 3 Series. The BMW 1 series is a massively overpriced mess compared to the cheaper, and far better equiped VW Golf.

A Dual Core 2ghz, 2Gb, 320 Gb Mac Mini costs £650

A Dual Core 3Ghz, 3gb, 640 Gb, Blu-Ray playing Dell Inspiron costs £499

Like your fetish for BMW - you're paying for the badge. You're paying, in that particular instance, £150 for OSX, and a 50% performance drop.