Why do these how to order quickest guides ignore the carrier check?

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
The slowest part of ordering is always when I enter mobile and last 4 of ss and they have to hit the Verizon server for that check and there servers are overloaded. Apple store app, web site. Doesn’t matter, you always hit that screen.
Mac rumors guide mentions nothing of this.
Am I missing a way to bypass this as a Verizon customer?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I think a lot of people probably buy the T-Mobile version which doesn't require any service checks with the carrier, but it doesn't work for people who want/use CDMA carriers. I agree though, this is often overlooked.

I just went through a practice run for the Sprint iPhone 8 and saw it asked for my PIN, so I'll be sure to have that handy.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
On Verizon you hit a screen that says replace this phone on my Verizon account or buy a new phone. If you are paying full what is the difference?

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
FYI on the apple store app you can save your carrier information to skip having the enter it. It still has to ping their servers though :(

Reactions: Cayden

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
This is how I do it with ATT (replace phone)

1) Apple Store app iOS
2) have X in favorites (as far as it will go)
3) My carrier info for the check (phone#, zip, and last 4 social) are already there, so when I click it, it checks, and brings me to the plan selections.
4) It asks me if I want to downpay (which I don't to save time :D ), I click save, and it brings me back to the previous plan select page, where I click continue at the top.
5) it sends the thing to 'The bag'.
6) I click on that and there's the nice Apple Pay button, which I click
7) You also will need to click the 'Accept' boxes at around this point (somewhere) :D
8) then another page with is the final page with shipping options and 'place order'

All this should be filled in. You don't need to input anything, anywhere. So it should take you about 10 to 15 seconds

Also, I'm totally unsure about how to refresh the App, which is a crucial stage. I'm getting conflicting advise. Some people say you just need to change apps, but I'm very unclear about it. All this above is useless if you're late out of the gate.

Could somebody explain in detail what to do?

Last edited:

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014

1) Apple Store app iOS
3) My carrier info for the check (phone#, zip, and last 4 social) are already there, so when I click it, it checks, and brings me to the plan selections.
4) It asks me if I want to downpay (which I don't to save time :D ), I click save, and it brings me back to the previous plan select page, where I click continue at the top.
7) then I'm on another page with is the final page with shipping options and 'place order'

All this should be filled in. You don't need to input anything, anywhere. So it should take you about 10 to 15 seconds

Also, I'm totally unsure about how to refresh the App, which is a crucial stage. I'm getting conflicting advise. Some people say you just need to change apps, but I'm very unclear about it. All this above is useless if you're late out of the gate.

If you have saved the phone in favorites then only need to do steps 5,6,7.
Also close and reopen the app to guarantee refresh as switching apps may not refresh it as the iOS preserves state of the app unless it’s removed from RAM by the OS.
Just close and re-open. Guarantee refresh

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

1) Apple Store app iOS
7) then I'm on another page with is the final page with shipping options and 'place order'

Double click your home button, swipe the Apple Store app away, click home again, click the store app again. It's definitely not eligant, but it's the only way. And I agree, this is the crucial stage and is dependent on your ISP. Perhaps turning off your wifi connection and using your cellular data link might be faster, but who knows.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
If you have saved the phone in favorites then only need to do steps 5,6,7.
Also close and reopen the app to guarantee refresh as switching apps may not refresh it as the iOS preserves state of the app unless it’s removed from RAM by the OS.
Just close and re-open. Guarantee refresh
Thanks

But my favorite can't get past 'upgrade or installment'. It stops there, so the steps are right (for me). Not sure how you got to where you are; How did you get that far?

I'm stuck at the 'currently unavailable' and Apple Care option. Continue is greyed.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
Can you describe where to save it in the app?
the App Store app, select “Account” from the bottom. Then scroll all the way down to “Account Settings”. Toggle “remember me” off and then back on and it will pop up asking you to save your phone number, billing zip code, and social.

Reactions: Rayban

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008

1) Apple Store app iOS

Where is the phone, zip, social stored? Where would I make sure it’ll prefill everything?
[doublepost=1509034490][/doublepost]Also, if I buy T-Mobile it just lets me buy as new phone and not create any sort of account?

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
Where is the phone, zip, social stored? Where would I make sure it’ll prefill everything?
[doublepost=1509034490][/doublepost]Also, if I buy T-Mobile it just lets me buy as new phone and not create any sort of account?
Test drive with an 8. this is essential. All the info you need is in this thread (at least for ATT). I think this is the case, but I can't be sure what other options and carriers have.

Funny how a lot of people are just now getting to this. Geesh, plan ahead :D

Reactions: jjk454ss

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
Am I missing a way to bypass this as a Verizon customer?
Well, I’ve learned if you go through your iPhone Apple Store App.

And go through replace this iPhone, it already inputs your carrier info. Now, during this hectic launch.. I’m sure servers will go slower than usual, but you have to understand... those same people are going through the same issues.

My carrier is with AT&T and I plan on using the Next Program... So in order to not have to enter in all that info. I can’t really follow Macrumors guide and favorite it.

As soon as it’s time to preorder... I have to immediately replace this iPhone.. pick the configuration and afterwards it does a check... which may last a few seconds, then buy with Apple Pay.. if all goes well, it might last 2 minutes.

tellemfred

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009

1) Apple Store app iOS

Around step 7 you also need to scroll down a page and accept AT&T T&C and something else.