Why do they number iPads and iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BizRunner, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BizRunner macrumors member

BizRunner

Why does Apple call them iPhone 4s, and iPad 2s? It is not like we have iPod touch 4s, or MacBook Pro 3s.

I just think the numbering is dumb.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

I agree, I think and hope that Apple will eventually drop the numbering system. I mean could you really imagine them calling a future iPhone the iPhone 11?

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They got to make sure people know there is a new one out there so they can upgrade. People don't upgrade their computers nearly as much as they do their phones/tablets.

5. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Simple - because they can and because it's simple.

They've developed such a great phone and tablet that they can improve upon it every year. They don't have to change the form-factor too much, just add a few doohickeys here and there. It makes it easier for the consumer to know "Oh, so this is the latest phone or tablet" has put out just by the nominal delineation.

Goes back to that old saying - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

6. BizRunner thread starter macrumors member

BizRunner

I meant something along the lines of iPhone 4's, and iPad 2's. iPad 2 in the plural form

7. urkel macrumors 68030

They dont.

IPhone. IPhone 3G. IPhone 3GS. IPhone 4. IPhone 4GS

The numbers may seem sequential but there's no actual pattern yet to truly say they are only going by numbers.

As for disliking numerical sequences, what would you prefer? Misspelled Fantasmagorical Android names like iPhone Voyce or iPad Cleerify? As confusing as apples system is, it's far better than anyone else out there.

That said, I've warmed up to two tier standard naming and letting the salesmen deal with distinguishing them like with the MacBook Air or iMac.
    IPad - The rename of the lower end iPad 2
    IPad HD - The more expensive retina version

8. Lastof macrumors regular

To allow them to sell multiple generations simultaneously. iPods and computers when they bring out a new model they stop selling the old one. However, with iPhones we currently have the last three generations on sale. Much easier to describe you want an iPhone 4, than to try to qualify it other ways. There needs to be some way to differentiate them, and it wouldn't fit with Apple's aims to do it by specs.

While we don't have multiple iPad models out currently, the rumours seem to suggest we might in the next few weeks.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I'm going to pick a nit: iPad 2 in the plural form is iPad 2s.

iPad 2's is possessive; i.e. my iPad 2's gorgeous and sleek. :)

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Really? I know I upgrade my computers on roughly that same 2 year cycle

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah but be honest, A LOT more people update their phones every year or two then their computers, right?

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They pretty much have to have a new name for the iPhone every year because they continue to sell the previous one at a lower price.

I'm guessing the same will happen with the iPad this year.

13. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I doubt they'll continue the trend of #'s. They'll come up with something.

14. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Why? Because it's easier for consumers to recognize the newer model and distinguish between models. It's not like you don't need to refer to the date of release or generation of your Mac when talking about it.

15. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

The number system definitely indicates to people which the newer devices is. Though I can't imagine it lasting too much longer. iPad 8? I can't see something like that. Maybe by that time they will make a major change to the products and decide that it deserves a new name, and then start the system all over again. It sounds hard to believe that they would replace the iPhone with a bother name, but they've done similar things to their computer lineup.