Why do third party browsers still not support peek and pop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamborghini392, Jan 29, 2016.

1. lamborghini392 macrumors member

Since the almost completely overhauled google chrome was updated yesterday which uses WKWebView rather than UIWebView, why does it still not support 3D Touch? It needed to be pretty much overhauled to incorporate WKWebView so it doesn't make sense why Google wouldn't add 3D Touch support. Come to think of it, no 3rd party browsers do. Peek and pop is really convenient for me and would use Safari except it doesn't do data compression which is the deal breaker.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps this was Google's first release with the WKWebView redesign so they wanted to make sure all of that is working before some other new features are added which might very well be planned for some upcoming feature update?

3. beernut macrumors 6502

Google isn't known for incorporating the latest iOS / idevice features

*cough*youtube iPP PIP*cough*

4. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Because the other developers haven't bothered to code it

5. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Dah....because Google has vested interest in android. Once Samsung copies peek and pop, it will miraculously appear.

6. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Good question. Developer laziness or lack of time? It seems like this would be something that browser devs would be trying to add in, as it is a really useful feature.

7. mrex, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

If samsung developed further its features samsung has already once invented, would it be as miraculous as ios' widgets, pip, 3Dtouch with quick action or peek and pop? all the features samsung had years ago: real widgets (not a poorly implemented so called widgets), flowing windows (=more than just a pip or splitview) and air command (=quick access) or airview (=similar to peek and pop).

Sorry but in this case, the other side already knows what features are out rather than praising "amazing" for non-functional and poorly implemented features..

And for sure Google should "vest" on android and use more time to develope apps working on that part rather than using the time with ios... But im quite sure they have interests to provide apps even for us too, luckily!

While bashing Google I dont see apple doing much for users who have also android and windows devices rather than living in a apple centric world. All i see apple has provided poorly functional icloud and itunes softwares on windows rather than making a real windows software starting from the gui and functionalities windows offers...

If google or microsoft were anything like apple, your whole ios experience would be 'welcome back to the stoneage' starting from the lack of beneficial and well working apps (like gmail, gmaps, gdrive, youtube, gearth, gcalender and office for ios for example).

And for the OP, works in safari:
    http://ctrlq.org/youtube/pip/
    Better than nothing. That works on my ipad but not on my iphone :/ just tried it on iphone but cant get it work.. Damn..

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

When do big devs every rush to incorporate Apple OS or hardware features? Adobe, MS, Google all drag their feet. Apple isn't their priority, especially when the feature is only available to a sliver of Apple's entire user base.

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Thank you mr Google. I understand the sensitivity to anything you perceive as anti Google. However I wasn't bashing Google or android.

I was stating my opinion that until android copies the 3D Touch feature, Google will naturally not invest time and money in altering current iOS apps to incorporate that feature.

Once they have more skin in the 3D Touch feature I am sure they will incorporate peek and pop. Until then, like all companies they will be slow to adopt those features they as yet are not pushing.