Why do threads keep e-mailing me?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Yr Blues, May 22, 2008.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I actually get e-mail in my gmail account about forum posts.

Threads e-mail me when someone posts on threads that I post to. I never subscribed to these threads, but it shows that I did. I tried to delete the subscriptions and check for e-mail options, but to no avail. I'm a regular on a couple of vBulletin forums that never do that to me.

Please PM me about this. :eek:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

make sure in your User CP that you have either "No email Notification" (which still subscribes you without email) or "Do Not Subscribe" selected and saved under the Subscription mode.

if your problem continues to persist send a Private Message to one of the Admins such as Doctor Q or WildCowboy.

3. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. Edit Options>Default Thread Subscription Mode>Do Not Subscribe

Is it always defaulted to "on" for noobs? :mad:

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I believe I found and fixed the problem. I'm sorry your account defaulted to the wrong setting.

I was mistaken. What I thought was a bug was actually a feature.

Yes, the forum default was purposely set to "Daily email notification," which means that if you do not bother to review or change your User Options, you will be subscribed to any thread in which you post. If posts are made in the thread after your more recent visit to MacRumors, you will receive email at the of the forum day, notifying you that the thread has been updated. If you do not return to MacRumors, you will receive no further messages. If you do return to MacRumors, the timer is reset and you will again receive a message if subsequent posts are made, and so on.

This default behavior suits the many new forum members who come to MacRumors to ask a technical or purchase planning question and hope to receive advice and assistance. We suggest that all members consider their User Options and set their own preferences.

5. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

I got a couple of e-mail notifications today. And I found that it automatically subscribed me to a forum, even though I have it set to not subscribe anything.

:(

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Notice that my previous answer was wrong and has been rewritten.

Please do the following:

1. Review the Default Thread Subscription Mode setting in your User Options, to be sure it reflects your preference. You may prefer Do not subscribe or No email notification. This setting affects threads in which you post in the future.

2. View your previously Subscribed Threads. Check the checkboxes for any subscriptions that you do not want to retain, then choose Delete Subscription at the bottom of the list.

3. You are never subscribed to forums by default, but if you have made forum subscriptions you no longer want, go to the bottom of your main User Control Panel page, where Subscribed Forums are listed. Click the Unsubscribe from this Forum link for those you want removed.

7. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

8. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

Stopping Emails?

how do I stop receiving emails from macrumors for the threads i post and the threads that I reply to. I've just been getting 10-15 a day and it kinda junks up my email. I've gotten to a point now that I have my Macbook that I check the site daily and don't need the emails. Thanks everybody!

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You need to manage your subscriptions (as well as your default subscription) inside your Profile (under "Edit Options"). It must be set to automatically subscribe to threads you post in, and then to instantly email you when someone replies to a thread you've posted in.

P.S. Sorry for the email. (;