Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielcox

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
I'm one of the few engineers around my age group who dislikes RPN. The only HP calculator I've ever owned - a financial calculator - allows you to override RPN and use algebraic notation. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Except that you can't use those on an exam.

If you're doing an exam then you wouldn't be allowed a graphical calculator and you should be able to answer the questions yourself.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
If you're doing an exam then you wouldn't be allowed a graphical calculator and you should be able to answer the questions yourself.

In my experience, albeit somewhat limited, the trend tends to be towards no calculator, rather then just a ban on graphing calculators. More classes seem to be proof based, even in the High School setting, and when math is involved actual numbers seem to be more and more infrequent- especially in higher level classes.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
After using an HP calculator with RPN, I can't even think about going back to Algebraic entry. RPN is so efficient.

Hence I would go with the HP50G or similar -- well worth the price IMHO.

HP12C all the way! I literally can't use the built in iPhone calculator because my mind reverts to RPN mode when I don't think about it. Going to get an hp12c clone on the app store when one is released with retina display support.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
So, what's more important?

Playing Tower Defense on a pretty iPod touch or an working instrument?

If you think first one's more important, good luck...

The price should reflect it's value, if it's not valuable to you, then just don't buy it. IMHO, i might not buy it as a computer, but as a calculator, i sure did. No mater how good iOS is, it doesn't solve as a pocket calculator with CAS that can be used in an exam.

BTW, I upgraded my Ti89 to nspire CX CAS, loving it, albeit the keybord sucks compared to the 89, it's interface is so much better, data input is 10000x better (pretty print as you type, auto braces completion if you miss it), plus no more buying batteries the day before the exam and it's much slimmer too... and it's computer link software (wich has a built in emulator) sure did for me, too bad it doesn't has nothing but BASIC programming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.