Why do US TV stations always cancel shows?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by johneaston, Jun 25, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

I've really been enjoying *&?! My Dad Says which has been airing here in the UK. So much so I went online to find a DVD of series 2 to carry on my enjoyment and it's been cancelled!

Same happened with Joey (a bit embarassed about that one, but I thought it was good, simple viewing) and loads of others that I can't think of right now.

Why don't they let shows bed-in?!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Lack of ratings = no money from advertisers = show gets cancelled. Doesn't matter if the show is good or not.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As I understand it, your system uses license money to fund Beeb, and no ads means they don't target specific demographics.

This is one reason why your shows are usually top-notch.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

The license fee also covers itv, channel 4, and channel 5 - all of which do have ads. These channels have never (as far as I am aware) cancelled a show in the middle of a run.

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I'm still bitter about losing The Chicago Code this season. Where am I going to get my Jennifer Beals-in-a-cop-uniform fix now?

But seriously, it was a good show. :mad:

America's ratings and network system blows - the only evidence you need is the dominance of the moronic, juvenile Two and a Half Men.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you think their shows are "usually top-notch".......why do you the OP would be watching a US show? :p

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

One day all we’ll have is reality TV. They cost very little to make and lots of people seem to like them. I personally don’t.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL. Her as a police boss is exactly what have me turn it off minutes after it started.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I assume that someone ****ed-up, and accidently produced something of interest. :p

And just go through the litany of Brit-Coms that have crossed the pond.

And many, many other formats too.

Sadly, reality shows are one of them.

And let's not even speak of *Simon*. :mad:

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

speaking of British shows being imported across the pond, I see that BBC-America is now importing "Law & Order; UK"......so now we can see a British show that's a knock-off of a US show :p

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Any bets it will be better??

I'll cover all money. ;)

Sadly, Leo McKern has passed away, otherwise he could cover the Order portion.

As for Law, how about Robert Carlyle? :D

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

having seen it, unfortunately, it's just another iteration of the same old formula

Robert Carlyle? no such luck :(

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The reason is simple.

Money, if the ratings are not what they want them to be, then the ad dollars do not flow and if no ad dollars, no income.

There's been plenty of great shows that got the axe. Just consider Star Trek, it was not really a ratings winner back in the 60s but look at the franchise that grew out of the series.

Some networks don't give a series a chance to grow an audience, they want a quick fix, especially now a days when reality shows give an immediate bump in ratings for not much of an investment.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

I was amused when I found out that Survivors had script editors. Think about it for minute. I had to go look up some episode credits to confirm this, as we haven't had cable here for years. If we want to watch a show we either get it online, or rent it from the local independent video shop.

Brit TV rulz! Though CBC's show Intelligence was one of those fantastic shows that was cancelled after only 2 seasons. Fie on you, Mother Corp!

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Are you insane? If she were a police officer in my city, I'd start openly committing crimes just so she could frisk me, arrest me, and shove me into her car. :D

You should have kept watching, she was a bad ass police commissioner. There are so many crappy cop shows on television, canceling The Chicago Code is a crime.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The ratings system that we have is not accurate at all. They use one household and multiply it by 1000. They really don't know what the true numbers are of people watching. 999 people might be watching something different entirely and the networks would never even know.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Amen to that. That show is utter garbage. I'm almost embarrassed for Neil Patrick Harris.

As I understand it, they use a much more accurate system now.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This system still sucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neilson_ratings

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Networks don't want true numbers because they would have to cut back on how much they charge advertisers. Advertisers don't trust the accurate numbers because they feel they are too low.

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Neil Patrick Harris isn't on Two and Half Men, that's Charlie Sheen. NPH is on How I Met Your Mother, which is my favorite sitcom probably ever.

I agree that the US system sucks. They cancel shows before they even have a chance to gain a following. Some shows are canceled within just a couple of episodes. There's no way you can judge the success of a show on the first couple of episodes.

The other thing that drives me absolutely crazy about how the US networks air shows is how they do their "sweeps". There will be a few new episodes in the fall, then a couple of weeks of reruns, then maybe one new episode, then another two weeks of reruns, then four new episodes, then a few weeks of reruns, and it continues until the end of the season. Sometimes it seems you only get one new episode a month. It sucks to try to follow a show that way. They're only encouraging pirating at that point.

22. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I actually work for Nielsen TV Ratings. It's a lot more accurate than you'd believe. The system we use and the demographic information we collect now does accurately account for viewers and the shows they watch.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It winds me up too. I started (and finished, rather swiftly) watching FireFly some time last year. I thought it was great and didn't know that it was cancelled until it came to hunting down the series 2 DVD... :(
    LOST ended on it's own accord and that was just phenomenal.

I guess it also happens in the UK. My family, friends and I were really into Survivors but they cancelled that and replaced it with Outcasts, which turned out to be a gargantuan flop. But they left both shows without an ending and as bad as Outcasts was, I wanted to see how it ended.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Oops. Oh well, I don't like either anyway.

It's not quite that bad for most shows but it does suck because they tend to do that near the end of a season with only 2 or 3 shows left. Most cable networks don't do this mind you. It's really only the top over the air broadcasters like ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.

Network heads are idiots. It's the only explanation as FireFly has a massive cult following still and is generally known as one of the better Sci-Fi shows to come out in recent years. Heck, they almost cancelled Battlestar Galactica in season 4 (hence 4.5) and it's probably one of the best Sci-Fi shows in history.