Why Do We Change our Wallpapers So Often?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Oct 31, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Perhaps it's the alcohol speaking tonight but I can't help but wonder.

See, my current wallpaper on my Mac is of a Los Angeles rainy day as pictured below. It satisfies me considering I live in L.A. and get the feeling the holidays are about to commence; with this wallpaper providing a bit of that warm holiday feeling upfront.

& even though I'm still researching some stuff before I go to sleep tonight I cannot stop thinking about that L.A. wallpaper itself alongside the new pages documents i'm creating (considering all new stuff is saved on my desktop).

With the thought of creating new things on my Mac at hand, seeing as I like to get work done from time to time and not waste away on YouTube or FaceBook, I'm here once again thinking about changing the wallpaper to the simple Aurora purple Snow Leopard one we've all come to know. Why?
    Because the wallpaper is so simple in and of itself, it allows me to create a plethora of documents and not worry that the Los Angeles skyline will become distracted along with these newly created documents <Understand this is all just a personal mindset, and perhaps a drunk one, but admittedly am 99.8% sure every individual has their own considering their wallpapers.

If I continue I'm sure I can venture a way towards my productivity concering wallpapers.., but if you know me and my posts, I'd rather talk it out. :cool:

Side note: Twister is on TBS.

Attached Files:

2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

I don't see how having a good wallpaper will be that much of a productivity killer. (For my it's facebook, youtube etc) If it makes you happy, I say keep it!

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I don't really change my wallpaper. I just choose a nice clean one from InterfaceList (usually a nice scenic pic, or one with a decent amount of green in it). I've had my current wallpaper for several months now, and I don't notice it.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I didn't mean it to necessarily be a productivity killer, rather more of a nuisance in the sense that a busy wallpaper can distract from what is truly important during the daily grind.

I like you already Sammich.

Which wallpaper you've been using for while now?

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I don't change my wallpaper on my computer for one reason: few websites I know of offer 1680x1050 resolution wallpapers. :(

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't change my wallpaper very much. Probably once a quarter, if that.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Because I can. Even though there are always apps over top, I get bored of seeing the same thing first thing when it starts up.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Same here man. The only time I ever see my wallpaper is when I login, but other than that it's almost always covered up with windows. Mine is just the standard Snow Leopard wallpaper.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not know about the rest of you but I do not tend to change my wallpapers that often.
    I might mess with it but on my 17in monitor it has had the same wallpaper for years now. I would love to find a good star trek one for my laptop but can not find one I like.

I hate how all the wallpapers you find online are for 4:3 ratios. Even the new ones that are made. Most monitors and laptops you can buy now are 16:9. Apple is one of the exceptions that do not follow that but everyone else tends to use 16:9

11. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I don't change that often. I've had this one for about a month, and I had it for about 5 months before I changed it one time. I changed it back from this.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'd like to know if anyone who is into photography doesn't use their photos as wallpaper?

Mine cycles regularly at random through my photos.

13. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I change my wallpaper very rarely.
    My macbook has had the same wallpaper for almost 2 years (maybe more?), and my desktop hackintosh has had the same walpaper for about 6-8 months.
    :cool:

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I don't, as I'm really critical of my own photos and don't like looking at them for so long!

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I change mine monthly, post it online in another forum, and give a very brief "lesson" about what's in the picture.

I'm a fan of amateur astronomy, so I try to pick a photo each month that matches up with something in the evening sky for that month.

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I never change my wallpaper. Every computer I work on has a solid neutral gray background.

17. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I like your Power Rangers icon... *chuckles* ... LOL

18. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Thank you.

Since day 1 of first switching over to the Mac side w/ the white macbook in 2006 I replaced the Finder icon with the Red Ranger and never looked back since.

As for the Mac HD icon, with my first white MacBook the icon was of a perfectly completed rubix cube but when I upgraded to the new MBP I switched it with the slightly off center rubix cube..

Obviously not a big deal but they mean something to me, you know? :rolleyes:

19. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

That is a really good Hard Drive Icon.

Vista had good Wallpaper! The Golden Mountain was nice.

Leopard's regular one is OK, but a little dark for me.
    "Orbiting Earth" is really great but makes me dizzy.

Snow Leopard's Mountaintop in Clouds was my favorite until I came across this one from RT.com (Russia Today)

The RT logo is a little awkward but not too much. The rest is just clean and not at all distracting. I even put it on my iPad for a huge improvement. It looks even better on that.

Do you like Plain? Intense? Colors? Patterns? Landscapes? Pictures of Friends, Family or Pets?

Have Fun,
    Live a Little! Change Your Wallpaper.

Attached Files:

20. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Always choose something dark because I use the Alarm Clock app to wake up everyday at 0530. It's a bit startling to open your eyes to a bright wallpaper :eek:

21. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I used to change my wallpaper quite often just because it got boring after a while and there's a ton of images out there to use. Recently though I've been going with the system ones - I like the one of the close-up of the snow leopard - that's what I have at the moment. At one time though I always used to have car wallpapers.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't change mine often at all. When I get a new computer or device, I cycle through a few until I find one that fits. Then I keep it for months, years, the life of the device...

My PC desktop is one of the Mac desktops but with a 75% grey filter over it. If theres one thing I can't stand its brash desktop images!