Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Before Apple Watch, smart watches were a hit and miss and the UI was clumsy and the look of them varied from OK looking to disgusting.

Why do we again, have to rely on Apple to bring an innovative interface, being the first to bring a navigation dial seen on watches for years, a high resolution display, quality adjustable bands etc the list goes on.

Now I bet every other smart watch will come out being remarkably better than their formers, but again why do we always have to rely on Apple to push the genre forward.

Last edited:

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Apple spends the time and money getting a few products right, instead of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Their relatively higher margins allow them this flexibility, regardless of what the haters think of Apple prices.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Apple spends the time and money getting a few products right, instead of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Their relatively higher margins allow them this flexibility, regardless of what the haters think of Apple prices.

And not to mention, some of the complaints about pricing are only potentially relevant if you never ever upgrade. The nice thing about Apple anything is resale value. So if you like to upgrade e.g. your phone every year, you get large percentage of the original outlay back to fund the new one.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
While android and iOS have different approaches to wearables , they are very similar. Until I have a good play with the Apple watch this weekend, I'm not jumping to conclusions that it's vastly better than the moto 360. They only thing I will say is that the build quality is supperior on the SS, but is also like 3 times the price..... The moto 360 in my opinion is a better build than the sports, only the space grey matches its looks.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
While android and iOS have different approaches to wearables , they are very similar. Until I have a good play with the Apple watch this weekend, I'm not jumping to conclusions that it's vastly better than the moto 360. They only thing I will say is that the build quality is supperior on the SS, but is also like 3 times the price..... The moto 360 in my opinion is a better build than the sports, only the space grey matches its looks.

It's leagues ahead of the Moto 360

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And not to mention, some of the complaints about pricing are only potentially relevant if you never ever upgrade. The nice thing about Apple anything is resale value. So if you like to upgrade e.g. your phone every year, you get large percentage of the original outlay back to fund the new one.

Apple products to hold thier popularity and value very well. I'd never buy an android at full retail, it's rrp drops so much within a year

----------

Which one?

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
When you have a company that does dominate because of ~insert reason here~ and you know they will enter the market someday, you can spend the time trying a few crazy (or simple) things out just to get a bearing on the basics. As long as you tick a few known checkboxes, people will buy it.

Then when the gorilla comes in with their offering, you can just "borrow" their R&D budget for the stuff you weren't sure about for the earlier models...

Granted thats not how you become a true "industry leader" but it is way cheaper.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Leaving aside whether or not Apple got it right as that'll be down to personal preference the problem for other manufacturers is relatively simple: none of them really own the whole device. Companies like Motorola and Samsung can build the hardware but rely on Android for the software side. They can try and move away from that (and indeed Samsung seem to be edging in that direction with Tizen) but they don't have the teams and experience in house to do it well, at least not yet.

On the flip side you have companies like Google who build the software but not the hardware. Sure they occasionally commission hardware but more often than not they're compromised by the need to not hack off all of their partners. Even if they ignore that they just don't usually have the expertise in house to go push the boundaries of what's possible.

Apple, on t'other hand, own both sides plus have a pretty good grasp on the retail experience as well (not just for supply but support afterwards). The result is they can make exactly what they want to their own timetable (assuming the tech is available) and generally control how the public are introduced to their devices.

It remains one of the great frustrations in tech that other big companies haven't followed the Apple playbook and built up their own in-house expertise though things may be changing. Just look at Microsoft and their Surface range. They've done a great job developing what was an interesting but flawed concept into something very nice indeed that puts most other PC manufacturers to shame.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Was just answering your question lol

Yes a 600-10000 pound Apple watch is much better than a 200 moto 360.

I suspect you got a sports edition, hence you said "all of them", The SS is a big jump from the sports, as the price reflects it, hence I am comparing the Moto to its closest apple product in a similar price range, the sports.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Why do we have to rely on Apple for a decent anything?

Yes a 600-10000 pound Apple watch is much better than a 200 moto 360.

I suspect you got a sports edition, hence you said "all of them", The SS is a big jump from the sports, as the price reflects it, hence I am comparing the Moto to its closest apple product in a similar price range, the sports.

SS buddy. And even though the Sport is the budget Apple Watch, I still think it trumps everything out there.

a75893eb1aff3b20a83f33abc1aea461.jpg

7a7c4e2e65f1ad52a1a047f8d69c00c9.jpg

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

In that case, I can see why you are a happy Camper. Its a much better product to the Moto 360. I compared the build quality of the two today, and the SS is far superior, but it is 3 times the price.

I like the white band, nice combo! enjoy it this weekend!

Edit: I assumed very wrongly!

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
In that case, I can see why you are a happy Camper. Its a much better product to the Moto 360. I compared the build quality of the two today, and the SS is far superior, but it is 3 times the price.

I like the white band, nice combo! enjoy it this weekend!

Thanks, you too :)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Not trying to troll here, but how is it leagues ahead of the moto 360? I have not seen anything relevant that it can do that the moto 360 can't. The rest is purely opinion on which does it better.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Not trying to troll here, but how is it leagues ahead of the moto 360? I have not seen anything relevant that it can do that the moto 360 can't. The rest is purely opinion on which does it better.

Apple is always better when you wear these 24/7, as some people on here do:

apple-sunglasses_gallery.png

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Before Apple Watch, smart watches were a hit and miss and the UI was clumsy and the look of them varied from OK looking to disgusting.

Why do we again, have to rely on Apple to bring an innovative interface, being the first to bring a navigation dial seen on watches for years, a high resolution display, quality adjustable bands etc the list goes on.

Now I bet every other smart watch will come out being remarkably better than their formers, but again why do we always have to rely on Apple to push the genre forward.

Innovative interface? Okay, sure, in your opinion. I'd say it's different, but you can also say Android Wear has an innovative interface. Although, I think people are going to see how useful the digital crown really is over the next few weeks, especially as the southern hemisphere moves into winter and people start wearing gloves, jackets and long sleeve shirts.

Being the first to have a high resolution display? The Apple Watch 38mm is 264ppi. 42mm is 290ppi. The LG G Watch R/Urbane is 277ppi. Sony Smartwatch 3 is 278ppi. The Huewei Watch with its 1.4"screen is 286ppi.

Last years Moto 360 was at 205ppi, as were some of the other first gen smartwatches, save for the Samsung Gear Live which was at 277ppi. So again, how is Apple taking the lead here?

Quality adjustable bands? You've obviously never had a real watch before? Or had a smartwatch that allows you to use any standard watch band? You think Apple invented the watch band? Good god man. Go out and look at some real fashion watches.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010

Work with an iPhone?

bms293

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015

Just like with iPhone, Apple brings the best of innovation and design from their world-renowned team of engineers and designers. Apple is the literal intersection between liberal arts and technology. No other company can take that claim! It's no wonder that Apple has once again changed everything with Apple Watch and revolutionized the way we think about watches for years to come. :D

refslady

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thawing North
Good rational debate.

See how the battery performs over the next few days.

So far my battery is doing great. I picked up my watch at 8am and it was about 75% charged. Played with it on and off for the past 9 hours and the battery is at 50%. I know I played more than I will once I've settled into regular use patterns, so it looks good to me so far!

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
The devil is always in the details.

Apple is tedious when it comes to details and that's why we all appreciate their products and buy them and use them and sing their praises.

They're not always at the cutting edge but the features and devices that they do implement usually do what they do exceptionally well and usually drastically improved over any of their competition.

I don't know if it's because people at other companies don't care, or they don't have the vision, or they don't want to be as good as Apple as long as they sell a certain amount at a certain margin they may be happy.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The devil is always in the details.

Apple is tedious when it comes to details and that's why we all appreciate their products and buy them and use them and sing their praises.

They're not always at the cutting edge but the features and devices that they do implement usually do what they do exceptionally well...
well said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.