Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
ok, I don't even really know the right place to post this but felt the need to vent!

What is Apple's obsession with putting the volume right in the middle of the screen where it is so intrusive?
It's honestly a really simple OS update request but would make all the difference in the world!

I have a MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar so having volume on screen is redundant!

And in IOS, the Youtube app overrides Apple with a non intrusive indicator so I know Apple could easily come up with a solution for OS X and IOS if they wanted to.

What's the deal?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i can see your point, but... never thought much about it. how often do you change the volume during video playback, when it would, of course, sit over an image?

anyway, you can google the issue, there are some terminal tricks (not sure if they work in mojave, look for something recent). good luck with it!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
ok, I don't even really know the right place to post this but felt the need to vent!

What is Apple's obsession with putting the volume right in the middle of the screen where it is so intrusive?
It's honestly a really simple OS update request but would make all the difference in the world!
Guess I'm just lucky, my volume indication shows up in the center of the bottom of my screen, and only as already mentioned for 2 seconds.
Edit: it took all of 2 minutes to find a solution to the OP's problem.
And it works, I checked it out myself.
Check out this link...
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/16849/how-do-i-disable-the-volume-control-overlay

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The volume display should stay, but something less intrusive would be better. It doesn’t need to cover so much screen, nor be so central.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.