why do we take such good care of our apple notebooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tekmoe, Jul 4, 2007.

1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

how come we are so anal about taking care of our notebooks? why do the people with dells and hp's not care about their notebooks compared to apple owners?

is it because of the sexy design? or the price we had to pay? or just everything in general about a mac?

i can't quite pin it down. i do know i treat my macbook pro like my own baby.

what's your story?

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

3. beginner0 macrumors member

I think the fact that this is a forum dedicated to mac stuff might play a role.

4. JBot macrumors 6502

a) anyone would after spending 3000$ on a machine.
    b) the case is easier to damage than some/most other laptop cases. (scratches, dents)
    c) i dont see many people with a pc laptop throwing it in the air.
    d) more times than not the machine means more than a childs life. most people would spend more time with it than a person. soon the iCrib will be released for those who care for the laptop more than their kid.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

My MBP gets dirtier and the casing isn't as robust as my previous HP. My previous HP had a hard plastic case and would take bashing, also any marks didn't show up because the case was black.

MBP's have aluminum cases, so dent easily, and are covered in silver paint so the paint could come off if scratched.

Nice looking case, just not robust.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I do not think this is paint. I think it is a silver anodize tint.

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Well whatever it is, it can scrap off - someone posted pictures of it peeling off not that long ago.

8. e.magnusson macrumors member

I think (or in my opinion at least) that yes, its becasue we payed a lot for it, but mainly, because well, face it, when the MacBook or whatever gets dirty in any way it looks really bad. Like if you don't clean it once a week it will get dirty really quick.

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

The aesthetics of it engender an ethos of care.

10. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

PCs are plastic pieces of sh**, Macs are beautiful and deserve to be taken care of.

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am not sure about the validity of the OP's assertion. I read posts all of the time, which are the result of damage caused by neglect and/or mishandling. Others claim innocence about damage, but their description of the problem(s) suggest otherwise.

I take care of all of my stuff. Others do not. I think this applies to everything, not just laptops.

12. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Seconded. When something looks beautiful, you want to keep it beautiful. When something looks terrible, you don't really care enough. Most PC makers don't put the design thought into their notebooks like Apple does.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

it's hard to find anything sexier then an Apple laptop. We Interact with our mac, were as a PC user is just that, a pc user. We are like freemasons.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have done...
    In two years, I will be :)

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yup. I guess that's why there always on TV and in movies. Directors want something that looks good, not just another dusty box.

17. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

That was a picture of an older Titanium laptop which was peeling. A recent addition to the old thread brought it back to the top of the list. The Titanium cases were painted and they did peel. The current Aluminium cases on the new MacBook Pros are anodized, rather than painted, so they will not peel. However, the surface will get scratched up pretty easily.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It came to me in a nice, shiny box in nice, shiny condition. And it works - consistently. So I take care of it.

19. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I paid $3000 for this thing, so I'd better be taking good care of it.

20. leprechaun8942 macrumors member

I take good care of everything I own, whether it was a dollar or my entire years pay.

21. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The price, mainly.

If these are Dell priced machines I would not give a hoot!

22. bowlman23 macrumors regular

23. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

costs alot of money... a $350-500 laptop just isnt worth as much b/c it costs less I guess

24. mpw Guest

You should see the state of my MacBook, it's filthy and abused...but I think it likes it.

25. Jamiephofe macrumors member

What makes you think anyone who owns a dell or hp notebook doesn't care about it?

I should hope anyone who has paid top price on a notebook looks after it well.

I think when you pay so much money for a notebook just because it's "sexier" (???) than another notebook means you definitely don't want any scratches or dents in it.