Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chahineatallah

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
I tried first apple product in 2011, iphone 4, it was an amazing device at that time, since then I got stuck with Apple products and why
1. Great quality
2. Beautiful design
3. iOS experience everything is just smooth, ofcourse it has some glitches some times (1% of time ) but it’s ok compared to other brands
4. Apps for iOS are much better in design than android apps
5. Integration like I have Apple Watch , iPad , iPhone and Apple TV, all work together /sync without any glitch
6. Magical AirPods I think this is my favorite apple product , the simplicity there , just open the case and it’s connected
7. Apple Watch , this is really what you can call smart watch , with its variety of apps you can do whatever you want, although I use it only for activity tracking, sleep tracking and notifications

my list is big but these are the major ones :)

mike9449

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2017
Phoenix
Bought my first Apple product in 1980... and Apple II+. Still have it. It still works. Main reason was that the architecture based on the 6502 was much easier to develop DIY hardware than other personal computers of the time (e.g. IBM).

Developed my first home control (turning on/off an AC light bulb) using the game port (1981). Made the hardware and wrote the software. Been developing hardware/software for home control ever since.

Stayed with Apple because they they allowed more freedom and flexibility to create DIY peripherals than Microsoft and the emphasis on easy of use.

Still with Apple, even though the feeling of ease of DIY is pretty much gone (except software). Lately it seems that the distinction between Apple and Microsoft is diminishing, and not in the "old" Apple direction.

kb2755

macrumors member
May 6, 2020
For computers, nothing compares to the fit and finish of the hardware or software of Macs. I have a Chromebook and a Windows desktop, but honestly neither come close to my 15"/13" MacBook Pros for work/personal. Even mundane tasks feel more enjoyable in the MacOS interface.

On the mobile side, I tend to jump back and forth between Android and iOS A LOT. There are things I think each OS does really well. For my use, Android is notifications, customizations of homepages/widgets and subtle touches like "What's playing" on the home screen (if you haven't seen this, think "always on Shazam"). The Pixel's camera was what originally drew me in, it's just so effortlessly good.

On iOS, battery life has always been better for me than Android devices. Definitely a crapshoot with Android and the different manufacturers of what kind of battery life you're going to get. With iOS/iPhone, you know you're going to get decent all-day life no matter which model you have. I also much prefer the third party app quality. All iOS apps seem to be a bit more reliable and higher quality than their Android counterparts. Anything that uses the camera and a lot of the banking apps tend to be more polished. Lastly, the hardware of iPhones. Better materials and nicer in the hand.

This all being said, this year I'm making my biennial jump from Android to iOS with the iPhone 12 Pro. So much good stuff coming out of iOS 14 and the rumoured hardware of the 12 looks so good. Two years I'll likely be back to Android, but time will tell!

Last edited:

Cargrfx1

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2020
I've had nothing but Apple products for years, I will not use anything else. Everything is integrated and all the products work together. I've tried to use a PC from time to time, but I can't stand doing 4 to 5 steps just to open a program whereas with my iMac I just fo tot he dock and click and the program open Simple.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
1) been using them since 1993, so decades of familiarity
2) ecosystem/integration
3) they're not perfect, but on balance, they're better than the alternatives

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Its a habit now, been using Apple products since 1995.
Ya I think that’s what it is. I mean Apple makes good products, as do others. There’s pros and cons with each company.

There’s people who only buy a Ford, or only by a Toyota. There’s good cars from many companies. But I buy Apple Products that it. I know the experience, the many good experience, and a few bad.

Reactions: Nightfury326

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think it was tongue in cheek lol

Two iPhones though, are they differing sizes for different occasions?

It’s quite common to have two iPhones when one is personal and the other is a works phone. My wife has an iPhone 7 company phone but it’s become redundant as everybody contacts her personal number. My company are updating this year and want me to have an iPhone SE but I’m resisting as I don’t want the obligations that come with it.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Reliability, quality and long term vfm

In over 30 years of owning macs the only thing that’s packed up was an iBook power lead , the blue one that looked like an iMac . I must have had at least 20+ macs / iOS stuff over the years , never had a problem that wasn’t my own fault

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
They are best value/performance for the products that I buy from Apple (iPhone and iPad). Simple as that. I used to use Macs to for over 20 years, and subsequently switched when other products started to offer better performance and value.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
My wife used Apple hardware and software (Claris works) and that started the interest. We bought an iPod as a gift and then being a hobbyist developer On mobile devices I moved to ios from Microsoft. iPod iPhone Mac MacBook then iPad and on and on. The excellent sharing within Apple for docs passwords etc makes it easy to use and vastly more secure than other systems.

Nymunariya

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Germany
my first mac was an LCIII that I got from my elementary school to use at home to do school work. Since then, we've always had Macs in the house, as well as a windows computer or two. From a 6300 series to a 6500/225 and a Quadra, to an eMac (ATI) and then MacBook (Core Duo) to MacBook Air (original), along with various iPods (3rd gen, video) and the original iPad til I moved to Germany 2011 and got myself a Mid-2011 MacBook Air.

On one hand, it's force of habit. I like MacOS. I understand what MacOS does and it does what I expect it to do.

On the other hand, I'm well into the ecosystem. I currently have an iPad mini 5, iPhone 11, Mac Mini, and my MacBook Air. I use iCloud to share files between them. I actually use Keychain as my password manager.

On the third hand, I never had any problems with any macs, aside from the MacBook Air. The windows computers always died for some reason or another. The MacBook Air had bad ram and Apple paid for the shipping to them, repaired it, and within a few days I got my computer back, no extra cost. Apple support has always been top notch. I've never had a bad experience with an Apple device.

While I did build my own gaming pc around ... 2014 with windows, I actually got a virus on it. Never once got a virus on mac. Eventually I put Linux on it and gamed with Linux for a few years, but upgrading from elementary OS Freyi to Loki resulted in my loosing all my data (I'm still not good with doing full upgrades of Linux). Even when Linux does work, I always spend a lot of time getting it setup the way I like it (themes, icons, etc.), and I'm usually never happy. Every now and then I want to change something. With macOS I'm actually perfectlly happy with how it looks. Even in early Mac OS X with Shapeshifter, sure I could change the look, I often used buttosighs/Padma Colors mes/drawning board (based off Apple Japan's drawning board theme for Mac OS 8's appearence manager) or Max Rudberg's BBX Mercury, or Takashi Izawa's Shinobi (Rip Resexcellence), but no matter what I chose, I always went back to Aqua.

I've even been using my 2011 MacBook Air for the past 9 years, because it just works. Battery was basically dead from the beginning (I never drained it the first year, so I got no life out of it after that), and I'm on my 4th battery, but aside from that, it's been amazing. I originally wasn't going to buy a new mac, because I didn't want a butterfly keyboard, I didn't want soldered on storage (I upgraded my Air to 1TB SSD). I couldn't go with an iMac, because I have multiple computers and consoles at my desk so I can't have one monitor that only works with one computer. And then I wanted to keep running my 32-bit apps. After lots of thought, I went ahead and bought a 2018 MacMini because despite solderd ssd, Mac is what I keep coming back to. It's solid. It works. And I've had a great experience all these years.

Last edited:

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
For me:

- Attention to the detail
- Don’t need to baby sit the system.
- Robust set of features
- Longevity
- Makes integration across devices very simple.

What I don’t like:

- Sometimes the attention to the detail is not there. Case in case the Files App, the MacBook Pro keyboard fiasco, been having problems with my MBP 16, and more
- Reduced integration capabilities with third party apps and services.
- The pricing is not population inclusive

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I just like how they all work together. So once you get one apple product, it’s a natural logical choice to get another apple product over a competing alternative, because the sum usually ends up being greater than the parts added together.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Apple products and services are made to a high quality base line, they don’t skimp. The eco system works almost seamlessly, and despite being called a ‘walled garden’, I can access/Install ALL services from Google and Microsoft, as well as all of apples services, which is not possible if I used android or windows.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
It’s not really a question of why I buy Apple products. It’s more of why I didn’t buy Apple products (and, to a lesser degree now, still don’t really).

I didn’t buy Apple in the past because the divide between Windows and Mac felt like an insurmountable gulf. Windows was always the “can do anything on it, cheaply” platform, whereas Mac never came across like that.

My slow slide into Apple products came with my disillusionment of Android phones. Getting stuck on a two-year contract with a Samsung phone that never got updated wasn’t something that sat well with me.

Even then, it wasn’t an easy transition. Way back, I almost bought the first Mac mini. But the UK release kept getting pushed back due to US demand that, by the time I could have bought it, my money had gone elsewhere.

My first proper Apple product (not counting a couple of iPod nanos), then, was a refurbished iPad (the original). Bought from Apple, it stopped receiving updates within about 9 months of purchase. That didn’t sit well with me at all, and delayed my interest in Apple products for some time.

Ultimately, when the same thing happened with the aforementioned Android phone, the road to Apple began. It wasn’t immediate. I had other Android phones, but they tended to be cheaper ones in the knowledge that I’d have to be throwing them away when the next decent update came along.

When I was tired of the short lifespan of Android phones, I discovered the iPhone SE was available at a good price from a catalogue on a payment plan. That was my first intentional switch to Apple.

Having the iPhone SE gave me additional options when my Garmin watch was up for replacement. Due to Garmin’s prices, I found myself buying the Apple Watch series 4 instead.

Shortly after that, a friend gave me his old Mac mini that he no longer used - and this has given me a proper step into Apple’s world. The integration between devices is something that appeals to me a lot. It feels that my Mac, my iPad mini 5, my iPhone SE (2020, now), and my Apple Watch are all part of the same entity - rather than separate unrelated devices. I like that.

Due to my software and hardware usage, I still have many Windows computers such that I don’t think I’ll ever be leaving Windows for the long haul but, due to the Apple products I have, I’m favourably leaning towards a new Mac due to the gifted Mac mini getting a bit long in the tooth (I looked at the Air until I read about the new chip thing that’s coming along). The price of Apple products is still the major hurdle that I have difficulty getting over.

In short, I think I’ll be both a Microsoft and Apple user for some considerable time to come. Both have their advantages and disadvantages for me.

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
I bought my first Apple products in 2018 for the Apple Watch Series 4. Prior to that I was an Android fan but I got tired of waiting for a truly good Android Wear Watch and when using Pixel phones FitBit would always break when the OS updated to the next version. I would be able to get text or call notifications for about 2 months until FitBit got around to pushing an update out.
I bought the h iPhone XS and Apple Watch 4 cellular at the same time. Then got AirPods Pro and an iPad eventually. I see the fuss regarding Apple’s wall garden. The ecosystem is second to known with the communication between devices.
I still prefer Android OS with the notification bar, being able to set default apps for everything, and the virtually unlimited customizations you can do to your phone but not enough to give up what I get with all the Apple devices. One other aspect that will keep me on Apple is there is no small Android flagships anymore. I mean if you want a smaller Android phone it will never have the top specs of the bigger sibling. It won’t have the same cameras, or screen quality, or will have some other compromises. With the iPhones the Pro and Pro Max are the same phone minus screen size. Same cameras, same screen quality, top SOC, RAM.
I prefer smaller phones for going out walking/running. With the huge phones Android manufacturers make it’s impossible to find an armband or pouch the phone will fit it.

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
I went with OnePlus last year (7 Pro) but I'm looking forward to owning the iPhone 12 Pro. I liked my experience with Android but it didn't match all my expectations.

Just a few:

- The OS, the fact every app is optimised way better than Android.
- Customer Service is always on point.
- Ecosystem, all my friends and family have iPhones. iMessage blows my mind every time.
- The devices hold value, and receives updates for years.
- Despite my love for Google assistant and maps - I can use Apps to experience these on iOS.
- Apple Shortcuts.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I fell in love with the 12” powerbook after I saw the ad starring Yao Ming and minime.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Main Perceived advantages.

1. It just works. Well, at least it just works better than alternatives. It's not that everything works perfectly, but the integration between ios and macos is generally pretty transparent and effective.

2. No operating system is completely safe but macos and ios are generally less prone to being hacked than Windows or Android.

3. The hardware is generally reliable and customer service is as good as it gets.

4. Momentum. I know macos and ios pretty well and I'm not really interested in spending a lot of time learning how to do things in alternatives.

Main Perceived disadvantages:

1. I agree with earlier comments that you're kind of trapped in the ecosystem. If Apple uses crappy keyboards in all of the Macbooks, that's pretty much your only option.

2. Hardware may not be very state of the art. This is really combined with point 1. Before the 2019 iMacs came out I NEEDED a new computer. I also needed a computer with a discrete gpu. The 2017 iMacs were getting really long in the tooth. The Mini didn't have a discrete gpu and I wasn't very interested in an external gpu. A high end Macbook with dock, monitor, etc. is pricey and image editing was one of my main needs. I was actually considering Windows alternatives till the 2019 iMacs hit the market.

3. The hardware is expensive. Though that comes with good customer support and Apple doesn't bundle a bunch of bloatware on their machines to keep costs down.

4. No flexibility with respect to hardware.

Not issues for me but for others:

5. Not the system for folks who continuously want state of the art hardware or those who just like to tinker with computers because they enjoy it.

6. Not a good system for dedicated gamers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.