Why do you care about iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newtonapp, Sep 9, 2016.

1. newtonapp macrumors member

Ok, the water resistance is nice and the LTE speeds sound like they're improved. I'll give you that, but sooo borrring. Do we really need a better camera (every recent release has been about that)? I point the thing at my dog, push the button, and off it goes to FB. Who cares? The picture quality looks fine to me.

Why is everyone ordering these things like hot cakes? It's not like they just released MultiTouch for the first time. Just a button that doesn't push.

2. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I agree, the thing I care most about is what I have to stare at and how it feels in my hand, which they didn't upgrade at all.

I want a better screen, OLED, better resolution and some better dimensions like every other phone manufacturer is able to do. I want the plus but without half the size of the phone going to the body, those bezels are ridiculous and are straight out of the early 2000's. When I got my 6 I expected to get the + when then 7 came out because surely they would redesign it, I could care less about the few apps I use opening .1 seconds faster than they do on my 6.

3. Azzin macrumors 68040

Why do you care why I care?

4. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I feel the same way and made a thread earlier asking anyone who still holds onto their 6+ from two years ago.

The changes don't warrant an upgrade in my eyes. I was more drawn to the Samsung Note 7 Edge but of course there are problems with that. Apple is being stubborn and holding out until the 10 year mark.

No worries though, I am more interested in the new mac line ups.

5. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

I just want it. I love Tech. Besides with Verizon, I dont need to pay anything or much when I trade in. Win-Win. And besides I want a Bigger screen, so that could be another reason.

6. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I didn't upgrade last year and the new camera got me. Going from a regular 6plus to this feels like a nice change for me.

7. noobinator macrumors 601

Because I like tech, the best tech, and having the latest and greatest. Every year we get a new model with improved specs, which alone is enough to upgrade for me. Combined with the return of the black phone, I'm thoroughly excited!

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I usually outright dismiss opinions that use the word "boring" or "lame". In particular when extra letters are added for emphasis.

9. mtcowdog macrumors regular

The camera is a big deal to me. I use my phone's camera daily. Coming from a 6, this upgrade was not an easy consideration. But the performance improvements -- quite significant -- better future proof the phone and add opportunity for even better apps. I use a lot of apps for both work and personal. Little things like water resistance are awesome for me. I've been through the water blues more than once. And this is my 2 year upgrade cycle. I'm ready.

If I wasn't so invested in Apple's products and ecosystem, the Note 7 would have been my preferred hardware. I have no doubt the exploding battery issues will be sorted out soon enough. Samsung bested Apple in design, big time. I am impressed. But android, particularly Samsung's version, is a tricky beast over time for updates and consistency with where google takes the platform. If the Pixel phones are anywhere close to the Note 7 in design, I will kick myself. That's the only phone that would have tempted me. But the rumors and leaked images so far have no design inspiration beyond the iPhone 7. And the 7, under the hood, is the absolute best hardware performance available in a phone. Pixel won't beat that. That's often under-emphasized with iPhones. Apple is a mobile chip beast.

But next year looks to be a big deal to me for my continued iPhone usage. If the 8 is not "magical" -- particularly after breaking the 2 year design cycle this year -- I will give the competition far more opportunity for my dollars. I've gone from 4, 5, 6, and now 7. Previously Apple always kept their design and performance lead, in my opinion. If they can't do that with their position and resources next year, an extra year in Apple time, I will lose faith. I'm already in a love-hate with this 3 year design anomaly. But there is enough love still to overcome the hate. LoL.

10. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

For me, the iPhone is already where I need it to be in terms of design and functionality. Therefore I only feel like I need and expect minor updates each year. I like to upgrade my phone every year so I don't base my decision on how 'exciting' I find the new features/design (obviously if Apple released an iPhone I disliked I wouldn't upgrade to it).
    I think the nice new colour, improved camera (it is important for some people, optical zoom is something I've always missed on a mobile camera), water resistance and general performance update with the new processor make it a worthwhile upgrade from the 6S.

11. ramonabynes macrumors regular

ramonabynes

there are several threads like this today...

but anyway, I actually have an old phone. A galaxy note 3 that I got in 2013. It's cracked and I need a new phone. I had an iphone 4 and was plagued with reception issues and hated the tiny screen, so I gave it up. I think it's time to return to iOS. The major thing I love is the jet black color-- honestly, truly. I would have gotten space gray otherwise though..

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Most people are upgrading from a 2+ year old phone. They're getting more out of this than an every year upgrader.

13. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Because I have had every iPhone since the 3GS and I don't intend to ruin my streak now! :D

In all seriousness, though, the new camera will be awesome, I got the 7+ over my 4.7" 6s so I'll be getting ~3 hours more of battery life per charge, plus water resistance, plus new home button, blah, blah, blah.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm coming from a 6+ so:

• Force Touch: Convenience
    • Untethered "Hey Siri" - I use Hey Siri all the time in the car and now I can use it anywhere because the phone no longer needs to be plugged in for Siri to be listening.
    • The Camera: It always bugged me that the iPhone camera wasn't that great if the subject was further than like 20 feet. I welcome the 2X optical zoom and just better improvement of the camera in general (8MP to 12MP)
    • Processor/RAM: I play games on my iphone so faster loading and better graphics are welcome. (think your iPhone 6 is good enough try playing Assassin's Creed Unity on it)
    • Storage: Although 64GB was enough for me, I can now carry my photos and a larger music library on my phone and not worry about space as much.
    • Stereo speakers- convenience
    • brighter screen with better color - cool, thanks.
    • Home button less likely to break? cool
    • Raise to wake the phone? cool
    • water and dust resistant? cool

So for me the 7+ is more than a "home button" upgrade.

15. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

At first, I didn't feel I would need to upgrade. I'm coming from a 6+ and I like the fact that it is now water resistant and with the new camera feature(s) was what compelled me to upgrade to the 7+. Also the silent RAM upgrade (supposedly) sealed the deal for me.

Edit: Oh, also the haptic feedback home button. My home button on my 6+ acts a bit weird sometimes which can be annoying.

16. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

I have a 6s and generally don't upgrade every year, but considering I'm often in the field in my job (which usually involves working around water and sometimes in the rain), the water resistance is making me consider it. Since I could still get a fair bit back by selling my 6s it wouldn't be a huge investment. I'm torn on upgrading now or waiting another year...

17. AhemThisGuy macrumors member

18. kovey macrumors 6502a

It costs me nothing to upgrade, so why not. I consistently sell my iPhone from 2 years prior on eBay for as much, or more than I originally paid for it. Other than people not being able to get a phone contract and me keeping the phone in mint condition, I don't know why idiots pay so much for my old iPhones.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have an iPhone 6 right now. Happy with it. iPhone 7 does not interest me at all. But I must admit the iPhone 7 plus w/ it's dual cameras and 2x zoom is getting to me and has me thinking.

Honestly, there have been plenty of other boring iPhone upgrades that I have bought on Day One. The difference I think is really that those cost me $299, not $799, and I could easily sell my old phone for what I paid for it. Not so much anymore more on either of those accounts so it's a much deeper think before buying for me.