Why do YOU care about phones so much?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slash?, May 15, 2014.

1. Slash? macrumors newbie

Let's face it, we take our phones too seriously. Just look at the most popular complaints we constantly see about iOS 7:

"Oh heavens, what poor interface design it is to include neon green on my precious phone! So unprofessional. It hurts my eyes." - but really it doesn't

"Oh no, my cover flow is gone. How will I possibly listen to music without being able to see all my album covers at once?!" - if only there was a way...

"Animations? ANIMATIONS?! I can't handle all these effects! They are giving me a seizure!" - wait, I didn't realize I'm not schizophrenic

Why do YOU make such a big deal out of things when it is only a phone which is meant to do it's job (and it does)? Do YOU see phones as a hobby?

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Why do YOU care about phones so much?

Because it is THE device that I use most every day, more than other devices put together. It has to be much more than functional but also very enjoyable to use.

I like the iPhone and iOS 7 very much so I have no complaints. But I disagree that people shouldn't take it seriously. They can take it as seriously as the phone is important to their daily lives.

Take another example. I know people who commute in their cars for more than 2 hours every day. They would not want their cars to be merely functional. They should be comfortable in their cars as much as possible. To them it is much more than just a car who gets them there and back. I agree that they should take their cars much more seriously than I do.

3. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

You see something that's wrong (or feels wrong to you), you know it's wrong, and you want to right that wrong. Now extend that principle to other fields like politics or economics.

By following, engaging and caring about something, you are helping to make the world a better place for everyone.

To me, it doesn't matter whether it's 'just' a phone. It's that people care enough to share what they feel about something that makes it laud-worthy (even if it is something as innocuous as ios7).

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

People in these forums are in the small minority. Way more just use their device and do not even know about this place.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Who is "we"? It's not me, I know that much. Yes, I'm curious about advances, but I don't obsess; I don't grouse about screen size; I don't cry over NFC, or lacktherof; I don't feel pride every time an iPhone ad airs or anger when a Galaxy ad is on; I don't need (or want) a new phone every year -- every two years is barely enough time to even feel a difference.

But there is a group that does take phones so seriously, and my guess is because they have nothing else to concern them. Why else would anyone but someone who designs or markets phones as their money maker care that much?

----------

People go overboard there too -- I know I'm in DC. Both politics and economics have their fair share of stubborn zealots and hyper-partisanship; neither of which lead to making the world a better place. Sorry.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You're right. Let's all go give Apple feedback that we don't care and don't take our phone seriously. That way Apple doesn't have to care either and we all don't have to pay a lot of money to buy phones because Apple can just cheap out (since we all don't care anymore).

It'll become just like Android, WinMo and flip phones!

7. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

If you are willing to spend the exorbitant amount that an iPhone costs. Then you do care about the interface. Otherwise you'd just spend $100 to $150 on a Windows Phone or an Android off contract (for cheaper monthly rates).

8. Appl3FTW, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014

Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

only people who doesn't care are the android people.. they drop their phones and cracked, and they don't give a flying ****... LOL.

9. TantalizedMind, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014

TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Sounds like my fiancé. She sees a phone (even smartphone) as a tool and she gets upset that I won't buy an android when I want a new iPhone because they are cheaper and "it's just a phone".

"IT'S JUST A PHONE!" Man, I want to slap her when she says that. LOL

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Phones tablets and computer connect you to the world. They are very important. People take their phones very seroiusly becuase that's the one always with them and the one they use most.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

In today's age the phone is the most widely used device in most people's lives. This makes it very important to people and how they interact with their device.

Most people at the very least pick up their phones once an hour. And sadly even at night!

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It's because my phone is my most used electronic device and I have it with me at all time and use it for a ton of stuff.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Bigger question is why do you care how we feel.....

My phone is my link to my family aka my life. I need to be available for them any time of any day. Some of the things you brought up in your post are for the... what I like to call "losers" (with nothing better to do than bitch about things) but I'm just a judgmental jerk so what do I know.

That is MY reason why my phone isn't a hobby but a necessity.

14. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Some people are in LOVE with watching television hours a day. Some like riding dirtbikes. Some play videogames. Some love learning about mobile technology and find interfaces fascinating.

Different strokes!

My phone connects me to a massive wealth of information. I love reading about nearly everything. I can be learning about stuff all of the time no matter where I am (granted there is cell service or wifi). It's pretty neat to me!

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I don't. I just ensure that what I use works best for me. Why do YOU make such a big deal out of what other people do?

We are not all identical. Some do, some do not.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So trying to get a date with Siri would be creepy? :D

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

You know, lots of Android users care a lot about their phones too, and are sporting some pretty awesome devices. I really enjoy my 5s, but iPhones are not the be all end all. It's just a matter of preference.

18. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It's 2014, smartphones are relevant for a wide variety of use cases. For some of us they're great tools for getting work done in short bursts of time when standing and waiting. In an airport, on the plane, etc.

Because we have work we do online and some that's offline, a smartphone is highly useful. Mine serves many purposes and makes my lifestyle / workflow efficient and enjoyable.

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That's true. I'm partial to HTC myself, having had an HTC Touch Pro with WinMo 6.1 Pro for 3 years before my iPhone 5. Using all CAB files I managed to get Sense 2.1 w/Weather running on it and had both Facebook and Youtube posting functionality right from my camera.

I wouldn't mind having a HTC One X or an M8, but this is where quality of OS design comes in. I don't care for the look or functionality of Android.

However, I'm seriously considering a move to WinMo 8.1 just to get Cortana. I mean, c'mon? Jen Taylor as your personal assistant? Nice! If there was a way to port Cortana to iPhone and replace SIRI, I'd be all over that.

20. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

The internet gives us insignificant common folk a voice. It allows us to be anybody we imagine, make up any story, talk to another human anonymously in a way we would never talk to our parents.

It also allows us to nitpick on insignificant, as well as important things and to discuss things I would never discuss face to face.

21. $M.H$ macrumors member

Hey [ YO! ]
    When you spend +600 $ on the phone , it have to be PERFECT in every little thing :)

22. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

it's just a phone! hahaha

----------

our phone is basically our portable version of personal computer aka PC. lol

23. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Because Android is so much better than iOS, I'll tell you that much.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I care about phones because I use them, and if there's improvements or issues, it impacts my day to day usage.

I don't take the issue to the point of it being like a religious experience. To me a phone s a tool (and a toy at times). What platform I use is immaterial as long as that fits my needs.

25. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Couldn't have put it better myself. +1 on the car example as well, I have a few friends like that. When purchasing their cars they put a lot of thought into the extras they would choose just because they spend 3-4 hours a day in their cars.