Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I am doing this for several reasons; one is that I'm not the smatest guy in town and this is my way of "doing science" without the need for schooling in science, it's a challenge I can handle, it's fun, it WILL help people down the road as we begin to use the information from this project in the medical field (might even help me some day), it is USEFUL information not just the results but the computer science and developement aspect as well :) Go Pande labs! :p

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i actually started off with Distributed Computing in SETI. i took some astronomy classes in college and learned about SETI, and tried it out. i then learned about folding@home later, and thought - why not join a project that actually helps people, instead of looking for other intelligence. so i joined. at first. i had trouble with the folding clients (which i still do sometimes). so i stopped after some problems. but i got a new computer, and tried again.

now i have a few computers that are pretty capable for folding

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I feel it is a bit like charity work, and I hate to see all that CPU power wasted...

Started with SETI also, but Folding has much more potential to be helpful in the future.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
SETI said:
This weekend ASU physicist Paul Davies celebrated the 50th anniversary of astronomer Frank Drake’s “start of the most ambitious scientific experiment in history”: the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI); (Wall Street Journal; 4/10/10). On April 8, 1960 Drake, using the 85 foot radio telescope at Green Bank, WV, became the first to listen for signals from intelligent space aliens. But it’s been a long drought. According to Davies, "After five decades of patient listening, however, all the astronomers have to show for it is an eerie silence".

SETI, not my cup of tea.

i started folding a few days after my younger (and only) sister died from something that is being studied by F@H. she made it 2 days past her 35th birthday, and left a 4 month old baby and widow (and me) behind. i've been folding ever since, and won't stop until they quit giving out work units. period.

thanks to all who fold here/there/everywhere.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I participate in folding@home because I believe their work is most immediately beneficial. I have a tremendous amount of computing power that for various reasons needs to stay on 24/7, and I feel that it is the right thing to do.

Beyond the "I know someone who..." thing, I feel that it is our responsibility as humans to help push to cure preventable disease. I feel like it is the conclusion that anyone curious about the world would come to.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I used to fold for #1714 ABXZone.com. Back then I had every machine in the house folding, till I fried a $2000 Vaio and my parents asked me to stop. I complied.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
SETI, not my cup of tea.

i started folding a few days after my younger (and only) sister died from something that is being studied by F@H. she made it 2 days past her 35th birthday, and left a 4 month old baby and widow (and me) behind. i've been folding ever since, and won't stop until they quit giving out work units. period.

thanks to all who fold here/there/everywhere.

I'm sorry for your loss, she was in the prime of her life. some day, due to our efforts, many like her will live long and happy lives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.